Share |

RETAIL OPPORTUNITIES

importuser

RETAIL OPPORTUNITIES

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:09 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
WE NOW HAVE A PLACE TO CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION OF WHAT RETAILERS IN CARTHAGE CURRENTLY OFFER AND WHAT OPPORTUNITIES PRESENT THEMSELVES FOR FUTURE DEVELOPMENT.
MANY TIMES EXISTING BUSINESS CAN CAPITALIZE ON WHAT CUSTOMERS WANTS AND NEEDS ARE--IF THEY JUST KNOW WHAT THEY ARE--AND THEY CAN DO THIS WITHOUT A LOT OF CAPITOL INVESTMENT
THIS TOPIC SHOULD BE VERY INTERESTING!!
importuser

Re: RETAIL OPPORTUNITIES

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:13 AM

PREVIOUS POST BY ROBERT
Does anyone know if a list has ever been developed, showing items which people buy in other towns because they (think they) cannot find or buy them in Carthage?  Such a list might give our retailers ideas of how items to stock; or it might be that people could find out Carthage already has some of the items they go elsewhere to buy. Just wondering.

Robert
importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:15 AM

PREVIOUS POST BY ROBERT
First, maybe a new "TOPIC" could be set up where forum members (with help from the spouse who does most of the shopping) could list specific items they buy out of town because they think they are not available in Carthage; and where anyone who knows that the item is really available in Carthage and they just didn't realize it, could also let it be known on the same forum topic heading.  In some cases, people may go out of town not because the item they want is not available, but because many items can be purchased at one place on one stop, or because they think it is less expensive somewhere else.  But it won't hurt to find out as much as possible about what we have or don't have. 

Secondly:  If we know what we don't have for sale in Carthage already, it might help in determining who to invite to have temporary quarters in available storefronts around the Carthage Outside Mall during this Christmas season, especially if present retailers can't offer the items.

If I come up with some specific examples, I'll post them later.

Robert
importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:18 AM

PREVIOUS POST BY ROBERT

Regarding a list of products not available to buy in Carthage at the present time, I've had some lists sent to me, as well as some other suggestions for temporary store fronts during the Christmas Holiday Shopping Season. Rather than post them here individually, however, I would prefer that many people would each send me their lists of such products, or suggestions, by email, and I will compile an aggregate list, and post it on here, so that no names are shown, as that is not important.

The purpose of developing such a list is 100% positive, intended only to help our business community.  When people go elsewhere to buy something we can't or don't offer it here, they're likely to buy other things which they could buy here. So if we can close any gaps, it will help our businesses.

Carthage is a great place to live and work.  Have a great day!

Robert
bwebb9@juno.com
importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:21 AM

PREVIOUS POST BY ROBERT

Rob, I've received some messages from people on the forum, telling what they went out of town to buy (thinking - right or wrong - that it was not available in Carthage).  If many of the forum members would write to me with that type of information, I would be glad to compile it (omitting names of submitters). Thanks for your input and have a great day!

Robert
bwebb9@juno.com

importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:24 AM

PREVIOUS POST FROM ROB
Hi to all! This post is in reference to Robert's post about having what the buyer wants and buying what the sellers have. I am ashamed to say that I needed a tent for the 4way stop sale we are conducting and I assumed no one in Carthage could furnish me with one. I have known about the sale for 2 weeks and knew I was going to need a tent--but I procrastinated till the last minute and then went to wallyworld to get it. I AM SO ASHAMED OF MYSELF!! From now on I pledge that when I need something that is not (to my knowlege--available in Carthage or from customers that do business with me) I will first post to this forum what I am looking for and give a reasonable amount of time for you guys to find it for me.

Thinking about how Carson Ford fits in with having what our customers want--
I am sure that not everyone wants to buy a Ford from Carson Ford or a Chevy/buick/pontiac from Carl Motors--and it is obvious that there are a few more foreign vehicles driving around the streets of Carthage these days. So In order to best meet the needs of my customers--I have attempted to acquire a foreign franchise for Carthage Ill. The simple fact of the matter is this--they don't feel Carson Ford (or Carthage Illinois for that matter)  is good enough to bestow a franchise upon us. So, in order to meet my customers needs that want a foreign namebrand--I have solicited all by dealer friends that have  the Toyota--Honda--Mitsubishi--Nissan--etc...etc...etc...franchises to allow me to be their agent in Carthage Illinois to sell these vehicles. So--no matter what type of vehicle you think you need--Carson Ford has the abilility to sell you what YOU want.
Just think--if 200 more cars were sold annually in Carthage--(assuming $20k per car) that's $4mil more in sales or $40000 more to the city in sales tax revenue--which means $40,000 less they need to assess in property tax!
now add in 80,000 current tourist coming downtown and spending $20 each that's $1.6mil in sales or $16000 in sales tax revenue
now if each of the 2800 residents in Carthage would spend $100 a month at home instead of WallyWorld--that's $280k a month or $3.4mil per year or $34000 in sales tax revenue.
so without doing anything more than taking care of our customers and inviting new customers to do business with us---and continually educating the people of Carthage of the benefits of shopping at home---we could very easily lower our property tax bills or further improve our community by $90000 a year!!! that is NOT chump change!!!

I am currently pricing all-weather banners for 4x8 sheets of plywood. They will have the business logos for the 16 sponsors for the "Winter Wonderland" around the inside of the Courthouse square. Anybody want to give me a quote?

importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:26 AM

PREVIOUS POST FROM ROBERT
Hey, Rob, the plywood can be bought in Carthage, but you may have added two products to the list - vinyl banners or sign lettering, and tents.  If everyone who reads these messages would drop me a note and just mention three or four (or any number) of products they have bought out of town in the past few months or year, it would be a big help!  Please, everybody take a few minutes and think about it, then drop me a note! Thanks!

Robert
bwebb9@juno.com
importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:28 AM

PREVIOUS POST FROM ROBERT AND MOST RECENT--THE NEW THREAD STARTS HERE!!!!!

Here is what I've received so far:

Types of stores we lack (with some specific products they sell):

Antique store
Vinyl sign store
Office supply store
Optometrist
Pest control
Theater
Monuments (tombstones)
Candy store
Carpet cleaning service
Jewelry store (we have jewelry repair and engraving)
Hearing aid store
Mobile home sales
Electronics store (flat screen TV's - and other kinds of TV's, DVD's, VCR'S, IPod's)
Video store (video and dvd tapes)
Certain types of clothing - carhaart. some children's and women's clothing, some types of shoes (athletic shoes mentioned)
Certain types of hardware - small kitchen applies (toasters, blenders, mixers, alarm clocks)
Small animal pet supplies
Bicycle repair (we do have an individual who does this)
Bookstore (newsland type store)
Bedding (sheets, spreads, pillows, etc)
Bath supplies (towels, curtains/rods)
Cloth material (other than cotton and fleece)
Vacuum sweeper sales and repair

Possible ideas for store fronts during the Christmas holiday season:
Amish/Mennonite goods
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Bookstore (there may be a temporary bookstore activity at the hospital auxiliary and at Carl Sandburg)

I'm sure these lists can be improved and more ideas presented. Really, it is amazing how much we DO HAVE in Carthage. We have a wide variety of products and services.

Robert

importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:43 AM

OCTOBER 1ST 2007

I think Robert has hit on a very vital topic and his list is just a beginning of what partnerships could come about in meeting customers needs.
Here is his list of needed products and some of my thoughts
I believe some of these are already offering these products or could easily partner with someone that is

Antique store---country pastimes
Vinyl sign store--biddy's press
Office supply store--Ben Franklin store/computing made easy
Optometrist--memorial hospital
Pest control--GT lawncare
Theater--Centerstage music--Carthage college audtitorium--CSC
Monuments (tombstones)--leathem--printy--traci Harrell--harrison monuments
Candy store---Ben franklin--northside java--bistro--
Carpet cleaning service--GT lawncare--twaddle furniture
Jewelry store (we have jewelry repair and engraving)--who is that--front of the former ead's jewelry
Hearing aid store--sherricks--mchugh--wear drug
Mobile home sales--merritt's--UD school?
Electronics store (flat screen TV's - and other kinds of TV's, DVD's, VCR'S, IPod's)--conn communication--computing made easy
Video store (video and dvd tapes)--computing made easy--conn communications--
Certain types of clothing - carhaart. some children's and women's clothing, some types of shoes (athletic shoes mentioned)--royalty's--bergman farm supply
Certain types of hardware - small kitchen applies (toasters, blenders, mixers, alarm clocks)--dollar general
Small animal pet supplies--holst veterinary--bergman farm supply
Bicycle repair (we do have an individual who does this)---wcaz--menn's firestone
Bookstore (newsland type store)---northside java
Bedding (sheets, spreads, pillows, etc)--twaddle furniture
Bath supplies (towels, curtains/rods)--twaddle furniture
Cloth material (other than cotton and fleece)---ben franklin
Vacuum sweeper sales and repair--twaddle furniture

just my thoughts--I believe a number of these local business are already offering some of these things--I also believe that some of these things could be offered as a sublet or floor sharing--just thoughts let's keep this going
rob

Possible ideas for store fronts during the Christmas holiday season:
Amish/Mennonite goods
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Bookstore (there may be a temporary bookstore activity at the hospital auxiliary and at Carl Sandburg)

importuser

By importuser at 10/4/2007 7:45 AM

Posted by:Robert
Rob, I'm going to print out the "list" of products not sold in Carthage (I've had a few more items to add to it since), along with your suggestions of businesses that might fill the gaps, and then make copies to take with me and go talk to some of them in person, as I know some of them either don't have internet service at their stores or don't have much time to check it during the day.  I will try to compare the list of forum members with the businesses mentioned.  We want to help our existing Carthage businesses as much as we can.

Robert
importuser

By importuser at 10/4/2007 9:39 AM

OCTOBER 4TH 2007

I THINK THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS COULD BE AN EXCELLENT TIME TO TEST MARKET SOME OF THE ITEMS AT OUR EXISTING STOREFRONTS. PARTNERSHIPS WITH EXISTING BUSINESSES IN OTHER COMMUNITIES MAKES TONS OF SENSE. LESS OVERHEAD, NO LONG TERM LIABILITY, GREAT EXPOSURE, IT SOUNDS LIKE A WIN/WIN FOR BOTH BUSINESS'S---KIND OF LIKE CARSON FORD SELLING TOYOTA THROUGH ONE OF MY TOYOTA DEALERSHIP FRIENDS---
importuser

By importuser at 10/5/2007 10:35 AM

OCTOBER 5TH 2007

JUST RECIEVED THIS EMAIL FROM ROBERT---WHAT A GREAT PROJECT HE IS UNDERTAKING!!!
RC

Thursday morning I went around the Courthouse square and talked to most of the retail store owners. I left with them the list, shown below, of products not available to buy in Carthage at the present time. I learned that some (maybe half) of the items on this list ARE actually being sold in Carthage.  However, some of the products are not being sold - and the name of the store indicates Rob Carson's idea of a place which might provide it (if it is not already). I welcome any input from you, as we try to find and close gaps in what Carthage has to offer the public, to keep the shoppers coming here to our stores and businesses. Feel free to write to me privately with ideas, products not sold, or information about products being sold, or anything else you want to share with us. Thanks so much.

If you know of Carthage stores which already provide any of the following, please let me know. If you know of other products which should be added to the list, please add them at the bottom, and return to me. Thank you!)

Antique store---country pastimes
Vinyl sign store--biddy's press
Office supply store--Ben Franklin store/computing made easy
Optometrist--memorial hospital
Pest control--GT lawncare
Theater--Centerstage music--Carthage college audtitorium--CSC
Monuments (tombstones)--leathem--printy--traci Harrell--harrison monuments
Candy store---Ben franklin--northside java--bistro--
Carpet cleaning service--GT lawncare--twaddle furniture
Jewelry store (we have jewelry repair and engraving)--Mr. Eads can still get jewelry and does repairs
Hearing aid store--sherricks--mchugh--wear drug
Mobile home sales--merritt's--UD school?
Electronics store (flat screen TV's - and other kinds of TV's, DVD's, VCR'S, IPod's)--conn communication--computing made easy
Video store (video and dvd tapes)--computing made easy--conn communications--
Certain types of clothing - carhaart. some children's and women's clothing, some types of shoes (athletic shoes mentioned)--royalty's--bergman farm supply
Certain types of hardware - small kitchen applies (toasters, blenders, mixers, alarm clocks)--dollar general, Menn's Firestone
Small animal pet supplies--holst veterinary--bergman farm supply
Bicycle repair (we do have an individual who does this)---wcaz--menn's firestone - Russell Smart - J & R Tire
Bookstore (newsland type store)---northside java
Bedding (sheets, spreads, pillows, etc)--twaddle furniture - royalty's
Bath supplies (towels, curtains/rods)--twaddle furniture - royalty's
Cloth material (other than cotton and fleece)---ben franklin
Vacuum sweeper sales and repair--twaddle furniture
Shrubs, trees, or plants for landscaping - Bergman's, County Market
Toys - several stores have some toys
Others (please list):

Question - Do you have internet service during the day at your store?
Question - Do you know of products which are not offered in Carthage?
(Please list any you can think of, and suggest possible stores to offer them)
Question - When people come into your place of business and ask if you carry certain items, are there items you refer them out of town for?
(Please list any you can think of)
Question - Do you add products to your inventory during the Christmas Holiday Shopping season?
importuser

By importuser at 10/5/2007 2:39 PM

Rob, while making my rounds, several people told me they have had customers inquiring about buying a television. I learned that Conn Communications does have JVC flat screen televisions for sale, and can get DVD's, VCR's, and other brand TV's from their store in Keokuk. But they are very limited on space here in Carthage.  Maybe some other stores who have space could help them by having some TV's on display - just a thought. Anyone interested could work it out to suit themselves.

I learned that Menn's Firestone has some small kitchen appliances (at least mixers) as well as some crafts, Russell Smart does bicycle repairs (and sells used bikes), and I was told that jewelry can still be purchased through Mr. Eads (as well as repairs and engraving by him).  The school sports people could help by letting our stores know in advance of products they ask their teams to purchase.  The hospital does have optometrists who come certain days of the week. The supplier of hearing aid supplies who used to come to McHugh's stopped dropped Carthage from their route.  On the subject of theater - just a question - who sponsored the travelog series that Carthage had many years ago, which filled the college auditorium many times?

I suspect I could learn a lot if the store owners each made a list of products or types of products they sell and posted it on here, or somewhere that we could read.

I also found out for sure, as I suspected, that some store owners do not have internet service at all, others seldom read or check it, and some do not have it at their store but only at home.  Some had no idea of the discussions on this forum.

Robert

importuser

By importuser at 10/9/2007 8:22 AM

Does anyone know whether wrist-watch bands can be purchased in Carthage? (I need one, and don't want to have to go to Wally World) :-)

Robert
importuser

By importuser at 10/9/2007 1:23 PM

Found the wrist-watch band in Carthage - at Ben Franklin. Thanks!
Robert