Share |

GO ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB

importuser

GO ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB

By importuser at 9/5/2007 9:36 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
The Retail committee has been approached by non Carthage Chamber of Commerce members about participating in the "Go Illini West Fan Club" retail offers. As a chamber member your business is automatically eligible to participate free of charge. In the spirit of bringing the entire new school district together--how should the retail warriors address this issue. Please vote and then post any comments you might have. A decision needs to be made very soon.
importuser

Re: GO ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB

By importuser at 9/5/2007 10:11 AM

Posted by:journalpilot
I also think we need to decide what to do with the ongoing cost of the program (buttons, posters, postage, etc.) as we go forward. We did not run out of buttons last night, but once the initial 1,000 are gone-the what? So far we been very fortunate to receive money from the chamber and business donations. However, do we ask the businesses that are already giving something away to "pay to play"? Just some food for thought.
importuser

By importuser at 9/5/2007 2:53 PM

Posted by:Brenda Gorrell Pyatt
A stronger Chamber of Commerce makes for a stronger community because of the many programs and projects that it offers our businesses.    Membership in the Chamber is not expensive for a business.  So I can never understand why a business doesn't want to join the Chamber, but wants to enjoy (for free) some of the good projects that the Chamber sponsors.  I can't participate in the activities of the Lions Club because I choose not to be a member.  It's not just the money that the Chamber furnishes this project, though that is important.  The Chamber is the organization that brings us together and motivates our participation, the insurance that covers us when we're doing these projects, the people who support us, etc.  It's is the umbrella organizaion that legitimizes our activities.  I think that it is important for a business who wants to participate to be a member. 
importuser

By importuser at 9/5/2007 5:13 PM

Posted by:JERBEAR
Well, I think it is great that there are businesses in the other communities wanting to participate however, there should be some issues addressed first. If businesses in the Illini West School District want to particpate in this program for the buttons, they should be a member of their local community organization, La Harpe's Golden Rule Club for example. If there are members of that group who want to particpate, then perhaps the group as a whole pays a group membership to the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce. I think there is a way the three business communities can work together to help support our high school!!
importuser

By importuser at 9/6/2007 7:50 AM

Posted by:SusanStarr
When the idea for the fan club came about, I understood one of the goals to be promoting unity between the consolidated schools.  If we don't let the businesses in the other towns participate, is that against our original intention?  I'm not against charging some sort of fee, but it could cause hard feelings if we refuse them all together. 
importuser

By importuser at 9/7/2007 3:24 PM

Posted by:sgutting
If you are a business in Carthage, you need to be a member of the Carthage Chamber of Commerce to receive the benefits that members get.  For the minimal amount of money it costs to join the Chamber, why wouldn't a local business what to be apart of the of the Chamber anyway.  However, since we are suppose to be promoting a unified school district, businesses outside the Carthage community should be allowed to participate for a small fee.  These businesses are unable to be apart of our Chamber.  The small fee would then pay for their part of the advertising, posters, buttons, ect.  As an outside business owner they should understand the costs it takes to run promotions such as this.
importuser

By importuser at 9/10/2007 9:25 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
SEPTEMBER 10TH 2007

The initial signup at the last two home games for the www.goilliniwest.com fan buttons have been very successful. The word is out that if your a fan your a welcome customer at many local merchants.
The poll has been open for a week and we have had only 7 votes. I really don't think that makes a reliable test. After reading some very good posts on the subject, I would like to put this out to the committee
[b]In order for a business to participate in the www.goilliniwest.com promotion--it must meet the following criteria:
1) Be a member of the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce or
2) pay a onetime fee of $20 for listing their offer on the www.goilliniwest.com webpage and participate in the ongoing school year program[/b]We will revisit this program next school year-- I believe that it is in the best interest of every local business to be a member of the Carthage Chamber of Commerce--however the Illini West School district is new and is much larger than what historically has  been the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerces scope of business. I also believe that any program that the chamber offers should be revenue neutral--in other words---should pay it's own way. A small fee to list is a way to achieve this in the future.
Thoughts? changes?
RC
importuser

By importuser at 9/10/2007 9:28 PM

Posted by:BillPyatt
I hope we can create a simple way for members of the LaHarpe Golden Rule Club to join the Carthage Chamber. Perhaps for a small fee, we would recognize Golden Rule Club members as Associate Members in our Chamber of Commerce.
I do believe that the IWFC needs to be restricted to Carthage Chamber Members (and if we can work out the details) with the "associate members" from LaHarpe Golden Rule Club and whatever merchant association that Dallas City has.
My only reservation, is if a business with locations in Carthage and LaHarpe decides to only join the LaHarpe Golden Rule Club, because that would be less expensive.
Maybe a quick response is to make a Fall 2007 offer, that allows LaHarpe Golden Rule Club members to have a Carthage Chamber Membership for $10-20.
Then give both the leadership of both groups a little more time to consider how they may choose to work together on other projects.

Bill Pyatt
importuser

By importuser at 9/12/2007 4:27 PM

Posted by:chamber
Why would any business in the surrounding communities be UNABLE to be a Carthage AREA chamber member?  We have several businesses in the surrounding communities that are members!! We have members from Keokuk, Hamilton, even Quincy.  I think that we should be unified as a school district and as community businesses, all striving for the same goal... so everyone that wants to participate should become [b][u]"Chamber Members"[/u][/b] that way everyone will get the same information from the same entity and not from different parts of an entity.  Everyone in Hancock County and beyond can be a Carthage AREA Chamber of Commerce member.  All they have to do is fill out the paperwork and pay the membership fee.