Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 9/24/2007 2:55 PM

Posted by:carsnfrd
SEPTEMBER 24TH 2007

Thanks Robert for the great ideas!! I have emailed you some of my thoughts as to what might work and who might be the local partner to bring it to town. As I think of more I'll email them to you.
We are nearing the end of the mapping and the next step is to get the temporary tenants onboard for the 12 days. Any input you might have as to who would be willing to set up in Carthage would be greatly appreciated. I am very excited about the posibilities--my biggest worry is that I will simply run out of time.
Thanks for your hard work!
Rob
importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 9/25/2007 8:33 AM

Posted by:Robert
Rob, I've received some messages from people on the forum, telling what they went out of town to buy (thinking - right or wrong - that it was not available in Carthage).  If many of the forum members would write to me with that type of information, I would be glad to compile it (omitting names of submitters). Thanks for your input and have a great day!

Robert
bwebb9@juno.com
importuser

By importuser at 9/25/2007 7:42 PM

SEPTEMBER 25TH 2007

Hi to all!

Thanks Robert for all the hard work. I believe your efforts will help us all!

I haven't heard from anyone on representing their business at homecoming or parent's night so I am going to go with a minny tent and a truck with the tailgate grille signup. Maybe we can get a little closer to the crowd and get a few more signed up. (plus it doesn't cost near as much)
My youngest son is playing in the state baseball tournament on Friday so I may not be at the game--but  I am sure a couple of Carson Ford's finest will be on hand. They would love to have some help we'll be cooking some goodies on the grille so stop by!

As soon as I get the fans loaded on to my outlook express, I will attempt a 1st ever illini west fan club newsletter! Hopefully we can do it monthly with team schedules--special fund raising dates (soup suppers and such) and of course instore specials of the month for participating business---I'll send you the first issue when I get it loaded!

Talk to Jerilyn about the dance Saturday night on the street outside the Wood! I hear the band is kickin!!! Hopefully I'll be there with some hardware from the middle school baseball tourney!!! see you up there!

lots of things coming for Christmas! I hope you all don't think I am crazy---but I do believe Carthage can be the must see and do destination for Christmas in the Tri States if we all work together---my biggest worry is that I will run out of steam!! keep me going with your own enthusiasm!!!
thanks
Rob

importuser

By importuser at 9/26/2007 1:51 PM

SEPTEMBER 26TH 2007

JUST IN FROM CHENILLE!
CAST AUDITIONS
12 Days of Christmas
"Home for the Holiday's"
Dinner Musical in Carthage

[b]Who:[/b] Males & Females Ages 16+
[b]What: [/b] Cast Auditions for--"Home for the Holiday's --Journey back to the 1940s for a moving story of love and sacrifice. Lt. Edwin Berry is stationed overseas during World War II and has been chosen to celebrate Christmas with his wife and children for a special Christmas homecoming. He is later called upon by his commander for a special (and dangerous) mission to save lives, which only he can fulfill, making his homecoming impossible...possibly forever. Filled with upbeat, big band arrangements of carols and new songs, this USO staged musical brings the period fully to life.
[b]When:[/b] Friday October 5th @ 7pm
[b]Where:[/b] Center Stage Music (503 Main Street Carthage)
* Come prepared to sing a song no longer than 3 minutes, and do a reading that will be provided.
* Must be availabe to perform every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evening from Nov 29-Dec 22.-6pm-9pm tentatively
* Questions? Call (217) 357-6683
[b]Why:[/b] Exciting opportunity to bring the community a high quality production of your  local talent performing the music of Christmas. A natural part of "The 12 Days of Christmas", "Home for the Holiday's" is perfect for local business's and organizations to come together and Celebrate Christmas at Home---for the Holiday's

Listing of Roles & Ages
Male; USO Radio Voice of Radio America
Male; 20's-30's military officer
Female; 20's-30's homemaker
Female; Older Berry Child
Male; Younger Berry Child
Male; 40's-60's Millitary officer
Male' 20's Young military soldier
Men's Quartet
Women's Trio
importuser

By importuser at 9/26/2007 4:51 PM

I JUST POSTED THIS TO EVENTS--"A CHRISTMAS WISH"
PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANY PERFORMERS FOR THE WISH!

SEPTEMBER 26TH 2007

IT'S TIME TO GET GOING!!!

HERE'S THE TENTATIVE CALENDAR FOR BAND/MEN'S CHOIR/CHILDREN'S CHOIR PRACTICE

[b]BAND PRACTICE[/b]-
EVERY TUESDAY AT 5-6:30PM--CARTHAGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
OCT 9/16/23/30
NOV 6/13/20/27
CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE--THURSDAY NOV 29TH--5:30-7PM
WEDNESDAY DEC 5TH--7PM--TIL DONE-- DRESS REHEARSAL
THURSDAY DEC 6TH--"A CHRISTMAS WISH"---7:30-9PM OPENING NIGHT!
FRIDAY DEC 7TH--"A CHRISTMAS WISH"---7:30-9PM
SATURDAY DEC 8TH--"A CHRISTMAS WISH" 2-3:30PM MATINAE---7:30-9PM THE GRAND FINALE

[b]MEN'S CHOIR[/b]-
EVERY WEDNESDAY AT 8PM--8:45PM--CARTHAGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
OCT 10/17/24/31
NOV  7/14/21/28
SATURDAY DEC 8TH--"A CHRISTMAS WISH" 2-3:30PM MATINAE---7:30-9PM THE GRAND FINALE

[b]CHILDREN'S CHOIR[/b]-
EVERY TUESDAY AT 7PM-8PM--CENTERSTAGE MUSIC
OCT 9/16/23/30
NOV 6/13/20/27

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WORKING WITH ALL OF YOU AGAIN! ANY QUESTIONS OR IF YOU KNOW OF ANY NEW MALE SINGERS OR CHILDREN SINGERS--PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG! THIS WILL BE THE LAST YEAR FOR "A CHRISTMAS WISH" SO LET'S MAKE IT THE BEST EVER!!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
ROB

importuser

By importuser at 9/27/2007 10:16 AM

SEPTEMBER 27TH 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CODY!!! MY SON IS 15 TODAY!

Hi to all! This post is in reference to Robert's post about having what the buyer wants and buying what the sellers have. I am ashamed to say that I needed a tent for the 4way stop sale we are conducting and I assumed no one in Carthage could furnish me with one. I have known about the sale for 2 weeks and knew I was going to need a tent--but I procrastinated till the last minute and then went to wallyworld to get it. I AM SO ASHAMED OF MYSELF!! From now on I pledge that when I need something that is not (to my knowlege--available in Carthage or from customers that do business with me) I will first post to this forum what I am looking for and give a reasonable amount of time for you guys to find it for me.

Thinking about how Carson Ford fits in with having what our customers want--
I am sure that not everyone wants to buy a Ford from Carson Ford or a Chevy/buick/pontiac from Carl Motors--and it is obvious that there are a few more foreign vehicles driving around the streets of Carthage these days. So In order to best meet the needs of my customers--I have attempted to acquire a foreign franchise for Carthage Ill. The simple fact of the matter is this--they don't feel Carson Ford (or Carthage Illinois for that matter)  is good enough to bestow a franchise upon us. So, in order to meet my customers needs that want a foreign namebrand--I have solicited all by dealer friends that have  the Toyota--Honda--Mitsubishi--Nissan--etc...etc...etc...franchises to allow me to be their agent in Carthage Illinois to sell these vehicles. So--no matter what type of vehicle you think you need--Carson Ford has the abilility to sell you what YOU want.
Just think--if 200 more cars were sold annually in Carthage--(assuming $20k per car) that's $4mil more in sales or $40000 more to the city in sales tax revenue--which means $40,000 less they need to assess in property tax!
now add in 80,000 current tourist coming downtown and spending $20 each that's $1.6mil in sales or $16000 in sales tax revenue
now if each of the 2800 residents in Carthage would spend $100 a month at home instead of WallyWorld--that's $280k a month or $3.4mil per year or $34000 in sales tax revenue.
so without doing anything more than taking care of our customers and inviting new customers to do business with us---and continually educating the people of Carthage of the benefits of shopping at home---we could very easily lower our property tax bills or further improve our community by $90000 a year!!! that is NOT chump change!!!

I am currently pricing all-weather banners for 4x8 sheets of plywood. They will have the business logos for the 16 sponsors for the "Winter Wonderland" around the inside of the Courthouse square. Anybody want to give me a quote?

importuser

By importuser at 9/27/2007 10:48 AM

Hey, Rob, the plywood can be bought in Carthage, but you may have added two products to the list - vinyl banners or sign lettering, and tents.  If everyone who reads these messages would drop me a note and just mention three or four (or any number) of products they have bought out of town in the past few months or year, it would be a big help!  Please, everybody take a few minutes and think about it, then drop me a note! Thanks!

Robert
bwebb9@juno.com
importuser

By importuser at 9/27/2007 5:18 PM

Here is what I've received so far:

Types of stores we lack (with some specific products they sell):

Antique store
Vinyl sign store
Office supply store
Optometrist
Pest control
Theater
Monuments (tombstones)
Candy store
Carpet cleaning service
Jewelry store (we have jewelry repair and engraving)
Hearing aid store
Mobile home sales
Electronics store (flat screen TV's - and other kinds of TV's, DVD's, VCR'S, IPod's)
Video store (video and dvd tapes)
Certain types of clothing - carhaart. some children's and women's clothing, some types of shoes (athletic shoes mentioned)
Certain types of hardware - small kitchen applies (toasters, blenders, mixers, alarm clocks)
Small animal pet supplies
Bicycle repair (we do have an individual who does this)
Bookstore (newsland type store)
Bedding (sheets, spreads, pillows, etc)
Bath supplies (towels, curtains/rods)
Cloth material (other than cotton and fleece)
Vacuum sweeper sales and repair

Possible ideas for store fronts during the Christmas holiday season:
Amish/Mennonite goods
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Bookstore (there may be a temporary bookstore activity at the hospital auxiliary and at Carl Sandburg)

I'm sure these lists can be improved and more ideas presented. Really, it is amazing how much we DO HAVE in Carthage. We have a wide variety of products and services.

Robert
importuser

By importuser at 10/1/2007 9:06 AM

OCTOBER 1ST--

HI TO ALL!!
I think that this retail opportunity conversation is getting enough traction that it justifies having it's own topic on the business needs page. I will attempt to do this then cut and paste in everything to date so we can push forward with this.
Stay tuned!
Rob
importuser

By importuser at 10/2/2007 4:06 PM

[center][b]TOP POSTS FOR SEPTEMBER!!![/b][/center]
AUGUST 31ST 2007

HI TO ALL!

Do you get the feeling that good things are happening in Carthage??!!! I am so pleased with everyone's efforts to make WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM fan club a success!!! We are getting an ever growing list of sponsors and as time goes on I believe we will see the needle move on our bottom lines!!!! Activity breeds activity and we are getting active!!!

Just to let you all know--I have recieved an enthusiastic thumbs up from the new owners of the auditorium, Carthage Veterinary ---"A Christmas Wish" ll is in the works!!!! TAKE A LOOK AT THE COMMUNITY CALENDAR AND CHECK OUT OUR GAMEPLAN FOR THE MOST SUCCESSFUL FALL/CHRISTMAS SHOPPING SEASON EVER!!!
http://www.carthage-il.com/forums/calendar.php
MAPPING OF THE COMMERCIAL BUSINESS
FALL FARMERS MARKET
WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM--EVERY HOME GAME THROUGH THE YEAR
CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
A CHRISTMAS WISH
A WINTER WONDERLAND ON THE CARTHAGE SQUARE
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS DINNER/MUSICAL

Now is the time for you individually to take a look at your business plan for the 4th qtr and decide how you can partner up with these great traffic building activities to bring those potential customers in to your store!!!
special hours
extra effort to make your storefront welcome customers
christmas lights--christmas lights---christmas lights
extra inventory
innovative instore specials
partnering with other business to compliment each other
let the juices flow and get creative--it's so much more fun than complaining!!!!

SEPT 10 2007

HERE IS A ROUGH DRAFT OF A PLEDGE CARD I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON FOR THE 12 DAYS

THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
BUSINESS PLEDGE CARD
__ WE WILL BE OPEN FROM 4PM-7PM ON THURS/FRI/SAT DURING THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

__ WE WILL DECORATE OUR STOREFRONT TO INVITE CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS AND WILL OUTLINE ALL WINDOWS ON THE MAINFLOOR IN MINATURE WHITE LIGHTS

__ WE WILL OFFER A UNIQUE CHRISTMAS OFFER/SERVICE HIGHLIGHTING CARTHAGE CHRISTMAS CASH TO DRIVE CUSTOMERS TO OUR AND OUR NEIGHBORS BUSINESS

__WE WILL UTILIZE CARTHAGE CHRISTMAS CASH IN ANY TYPE OF CHRISTMAS BONUS/GIFT WE GIVE OUR EMPLOYEES/SUPPLIERS/CUSTOMERS THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

__ WE PLEDGE TO DO OUR BEST TO PROMOTE "THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS" NOT ONLY FOR OUR BUSINESS BUT FOR OUR NEIGHBORS AS WELL

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

BUSINESS _________________

SIGNED____________________

HERE IS A REVIEW OF THE W'S FOR THE 12 DAYS IF YOU NEED REFRESHED

The Twelve Days of Christmas is a multifaceted promotion to enhance holiday retail traffic and introduce prospective business's to the "Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall".

Who: the Carthage retail business's, commercial property owners, community employers, and future business prospects

What: Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from Thanksgiving til Christmas "The Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall" will be transformed into a "Winter Wonderland" of the lights, sounds, smells, and shoppers of Christmas. What started with The Christmas Open House, then "A Christmas Wish" and now "The Twelve Days of Christmas will put Carthage on the map as the must see and do Christmas event of the season! Shoppers will be enticed to visit the "Mall" during the 12 days 3 ways
1) Every storefront will be open for Christmas business during the 12 days
2) Carthage Christmas Cash* will be distributed widely to the employees of the community to spend on promotions during the 12 days
3) Christmas light displays and Holiday entertainment will bring both performers and audiences to the Mall during the 12 days

When: Thu  November 29th  4pm--7pm    "Christmas Open House"  The Beginning
            Fri    November 30th  4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical
            Sat  December 1st    4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical

Thu  December 6th    4pm--7pm    "A Christmas Wish"
            Fri    December 7th    4pm--7pm    "A Christmas Wish"
            Sat  December 8th    4pm--7pm    "A Christmas Wish"

Thu  December 13th  4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical
              Fri    December 14th  4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical
              Sat  December 15th  4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical

Thu  December 20th  4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical
              Fri    December 21st    4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical
              Sat  December 22nd  4pm--7pm    "Home for the Holidays" dinner/musical

Where: The Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall and shops. Every storefront around the Square will be open for business with Christmas lights and gifts! The actual Courthouse lawn will be a "Winter Wonderland" of lights and displays of 16 local business sponsors.

Why: The Christmas shopping season is the biggest opportunity for the retail business's of Carthage to promote their products. These retailers, as one coordinated group,can concentrate on these 12 days-- just 36 hours--to ensure their most successful Christmas shopping season ever!

SEPTEMBER 17TH 2007

BUSINESS PLEDGE CARD
__ WE WILL BE OPEN FROM 4PM-7PM ON THURS/FRI/SAT DURING THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

__ WE WILL DECORATE OUR STOREFRONT TO INVITE CHRISTMAS SHOPPERS AND WILL OUTLINE ALL WINDOWS ON THE MAINFLOOR IN MINATURE WHITE LIGHTS

__ WE WILL OFFER A UNIQUE CHRISTMAS OFFER/SERVICE HIGHLIGHTING CARTHAGE CHRISTMAS CASH TO DRIVE CUSTOMERS TO OUR AND OUR NEIGHBORS BUSINESS

__WE WILL UTILIZE CARTHAGE CHRISTMAS CASH IN ANY TYPE OF CHRISTMAS BONUS/GIFT WE GIVE OUR EMPLOYEES/SUPPLIERS/CUSTOMERS THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

__ WE PLEDGE TO DO OUR BEST TO PROMOTE "THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS" NOT ONLY FOR OUR BUSINESS BUT FOR OUR NEIGHBORS AS WELL

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

BUSINESS _________________

SIGNED____________________

HERE IS THE BUSINESS PLEDGE CARD FOR THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS--PLEASE JUST HIT REPLY AND X THE PROPER SPOTS PUT YOUR BUSINESS NAME ON THE BOTTOM LINE AND SPELL YOUR NAME!

sent email to the retail warriors today.

SEPTEMBER 18TH 2007

Hi to all!

Just got back from an informational meeting concerning the 12 days of Christmas. The meeting was put together on very short notice but I do think it was a good one. Thanks to all that attended. For those that couldn't get there, I am going to attempt to put together a list of frequently asked questions with hopefully good informational answers. If you have a question that isn't answered here--post it and we'll try to answer it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

Q---WHY ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BE OPEN FROM 4 T0 7 PM ON SATURDAY? WE CLOSE AT NOON AND NOBODY IS ON THE SQUARE ON SATURDAY NIGHT!
A---DURING THE 12 DAYS--EVERY THURSDAY/FRIDAY/SATURDAY FROM 4PM TO 7PM THERE WILL BE ENTERTAINMENT--DINNER THEATRES--"THE CHRISTMAS WISH"--AND OF COURSE CARTHAGE CHRISTMAS CASH BRINGING YOUR CUSTOMERS TO THE SQUARE. IN FACT SATURDAY WILL BE ONE OF THE BUSIEST DAYS!! THAT IS WHY IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT ALL BUSINESS'S ARE OPEN DURING THESE SPECIAL HOURS. DURING THE WISH CONCERT THERE WILL BE 500 PEOPLE LEAVING THE AUDITORIUM AT 4PM AND ANOTHER 500 PEOPLE ENTERING THE AUDITORIUM AT 7PM. THAT'S 1000 PEOPLE IN CARTHAGE ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON FROM 4 TO 7PM!!!!! YOUR CUSTOMERS MAY BE MY CUSTOMERS AND VICE VERSA SO PLEASE COMMIT TO THE 36 HOURS.

Q--MY BUSINESS ISN'T RETAIL. WHY SHOULD I BE OPEN DURING THE 12 DAYS?
A--WHETHER YOU ARE AN ATTORNEY, BANKER, INSURANCE AGENT, FINANCIAL PLANNER, OR DOCTOR...YOU ARE DEALING WITH CLIENTS. WHY NOT OFFER SOMETHING TO YOUR CLIENTS DURING THOSE 3 HOURS---FREE ESTATE CONSULTATION--INSURANCE CHECKUP--HEALTHY HEART CHECKUP......NOT ONLY WILL YOU BE HELPING YOUR CLIENTELE AT A VERY CONVENIENT HOUR FOR THEM BUT ALSO YOU WILL HELP YOUR RETAIL NEIGHBORS BY BRINGING YOUR CLIENTS TO THE 12 DAYS!!!

Q--MY BUSINESS IS NOT ON THE SQUARE. WHY SHOULD I SUPPORT A SQUARE ORIENTED PROMOTION?
A--YES, THE 12 DAYS IS CENTERED AROUND THE CARTHAGE SQUARE, HOWEVER IT IS A COMMUNITY PROJECT. WON'T IT BE EASIER TO ATTRACT YOUR CUSTOMERS TO YOUR BUSINESS DURING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY'S IF THEY ARE ALREADY IN TOWN FOR THE 12 DAYS? IF YOU REALLY WANT TO SHOWCASE YOUR BUSINESS--RESERVE ONE OF THE 16 SPOTS ON THE INSIDE OF THE SQUARE "WINTER WONDERLAND" AND ADVERTISE YOUR UNIQUE OFFERINGS TO THE 1000'S OF PEOPLE THAT WILL VISIT DURING THE 12 DAYS.

Q--DO YOU REALLY THINK PEOPLE WILL COME TO OUR TOWN TO SHOP FOR CHRISTMAS?
A--ABSOLUTELY----BUT ONLY IF WE WORK TOGETHER TO BUILD THE PRODUCT. CARTHAGE CAN BE THE MUST GO AND SEE CHRISTMAS DESTINATION FOR THE WHOLE AREA---BUT WE ALL HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER---ALL OF US!THE TREMENDOUSLY SUCCESSFUL "CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE"--"THE CHRISTMAS WISH"-
AND NOW "THE 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS", "A WINTER WONDERLAND" LIGHT SHOW, "CARTHAGE CHRISTMAS CASH" AND THE "HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS" DINNER MUSICAL IN PLACE--ALL WE NEED IS INDIVIDUAL COMMITMENT FROM YOUR BUSINESS FOR 36 HOURS AND IT WILL HAPPEN

Rob,
A couple of ideas for non-retail businesses:
1. Use the 12 Days hours as your business's Holiday Open House. Have registrations for door prizes (and build a customer database at the same time)
2. Have a local group set up camp in your business to do a "gift-wrap" fundraiser...kind of like the high school cheerleaders do face-painting at the Marine Bank picnic. (It would be great if the group raising funds could buy their gift-wrap at a Carthage store!!)
3. Cross-promote each other...there needs to be a poster listing all activities in each storefront...good publicity for EVERY business. (Mediacall will donate the design of the poster if we are sent the info...could be printed at Biddy's.)

I have a feeling we can get some statewide press on this activity is everyone participates..."best practices" for small towns. Good news like this generates even more excitement for business development.

Just some thoughts...
Kay

If everyone that is onboard would please send back the 100% completed pledge card, then I will know who I don't have to contact face to face--then I will take however long it takes to meet one on one with  all the local business's that need more information.

somebody asked me why I am doing this when I'm not even on the square. I believe that Carthage and the Carthage area is poised to have a tremendous oppurtunity to be a tourism destination for the Midwest!!! My car dealership is going to benefit from a strong business community--- "rising water raises all ships" unless of course you let your ship get a bunch of holes in it.
dry rot---not willing to change
wormy--listen to other naysayers
rust--giving up
RC
SEPTEMBER 21ST

W.I.N. (WHAT'S IMPORTANT NOW)

THE GO ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB/ILLIN WEST BOOSTER CLUB MEMBERS HAVE BEEN LOADED INTO AN EXCEL FORMAT. THANKS TO KARLA JOHNSON!!!! I AM NOW ATTEMPTING TO LOAD IT INTO MY OE SO I CAN SEND THE FIRST NEWSLETTER! WISH ME LUCK.

THERE ARE NOW WELL OVER TWENTY OFFERS ON THE WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM WEBSITE--GREAT JOB!!! THIS IS ONLY GOING TO GROW BETTER WITH TIME

I HAVE ORDERED THE TENT FOR BOTH HOMECOMING AND PARENT'S NIGHT SEPT 28TH AND OCT 5TH--MAKE SURE AND HAVE YOUR BUSINESS REPRESENTED UNDER THE TENT ON THESE TWO BIG NIGHTS--WE SHOULD HAVE A GREAT TURNOUT--CARSON FORD IS ENTERING ALL CURRENT FAN AND BOOSTER CLUB MEMBERS INTO DRAWING FOR A $500 VALUE TAILGATE GRILLE AND ANY NEW MEMBERS SIGNED UP  BY HALFTIME OF PARENTS DAY WILL ALSO BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN--LOOK FOR OTHER COOL ANNOUNCEMENTS FORTHCOMING

HOMECOMING DANCE ON THE SQUARE SATURDAY EVENING SEPT. 29TH--THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CAN DO AS A BUSINESS TO PROMOTE THAT EVENING---CARSON FORD WILL HAVE OUR FAN TRUCK WITH THE GRILLE SIGNING UP FANS!!!! PARTY ON ILLINI WEST!!!

THE MAPPINGS STILL KEEP TRICKLING IN--WE ARE AT THE POINT WHERE THE LAST FEW WILL BE PICKED UP AS WE GO--THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED TO GATHE THE INFORMATION---IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT YOURS IN ---GET ER DONE!!!

COMMUNITY CALENDAR--HAVEN'T TALKED MUCH ABOUT IT LATELY---BUT WITH THE NEW HIGH SCHOOL AND ALL THE UPCOMING CHRISTMAS ACITIVITIES IT WOULD SURE BE NICE TO HAVE A ONE STOP SHOP TO SEE WHAT THE HECKS GOING ON---I'M TRYING TO LOAD ALL MY CHRISTMAS INFO---LET'S ALL TRY TO USE IT

12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS---THE COMMITMENT CARDS ARE OUT THERE--HERE ARE THE ONES THAT I KNOW WILL BE OPEN--COUNTRY PASTIMES, NORTHSIDE JAVA, CARSON FORD, ROYALTY'S, WCAZ, DAIRY QUEEN, PLUMBTREE, WOOD INN, CENTER STAGE MUSIC, Robert Webb CPA, BEN FRANKLIN STORE
IF YOU HAVE A FRONT DOOR AND YOUR NOT ON THIS LIST--PLEASE GET YOUR COMMITMENT CARD BACK TO ME PRONTO--THANKS!

COURTHOUSE SQUARE DECORATING--LOOKING FOR 16 SPONSORS TO DECORATE THE INSIDE OF THE COURTHOUSE SQUARE---BY SPONSORING YOU JUST HAVE TO TAKE 1/16 TH OF THE SQUARE AND LIGHT ER UP---THINK OF IT AS A REALLY BIG BILLBOARD ALL LIT UP ADVERTISING YOUR BUSINESS TO 1000'S OF SHOPPERS DURING THE HOLIDAY SEASON---I ALREADY HAVE 7 SPOTS COMMITED TO--CALL ME IF YOUR INTERESTED!

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAY'S---DINNER/MUSICAL---VERY EXCITING---STARTING TO MOVE VERY FAST ON THIS---PLAN TO HAVE YOUR BUSINESS CHRISTMAS PARTY AT HOME FOR THE HOLIDAY'S--GO BACK IN TIME TO THE WARTIME 40'S--BIG BANDS--THE ANDREW SISTER'S--BOB HOPE--USO SHOWS--THAT'S WHAT YOU AND YOUR VALUED EMPLOYEE'S ARE IN FOR  THIS CHRISTMAS  DINNER MUSICAL!!! DINE ON GOURMET FOOD AND ENJOY AN EVENING OF GREAT ENTERTAINMENT! IGUARANTEE THERE WON'T BE A DRY EYE IN THE HOUSE DURING THE FINALE!!!! STAY TUNED FOR OPEN DATES AND TIMES

THE CHRISTMAS WISH---IT'S ON!!! MEN'S CHOIR FIRST REHEARSAL SET FOR WED. OCT.3RD AT 8PM PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH--CHILDREN'S CHOIR TUES OCT 9TH 7PM AT CENTERSTAGE MUSIC--BAND PRACTICE TUESDAY EVENING'S 5PM AT THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH--ALL TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE-TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE MID NOVEMBER MAKE PLANS FOR A MAGICAL EVENING OF CHRISTMAS AT THE SECOND AND FINAL "A CHRISTMAS WISH"!

ANY TALENT--MUSIC--EVENT--CHURCH SERVICE--SCHOOL FUNCTION--THAT WE CAN MAKE HAPPEN TO BRING PEOPLE TO TOWN DURING THE 12 DAYS PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN ADD IT TO THE CALENDAR OF EVENTS! NOTHING TO SMALL AND NOTHING TO LARGE NOT TO MENTION!!!!! LET'S PLAN ON FILLING OUR BEAUTIFUL SQUARE WITH THE SIGHTS, SOUNDS, SMELLS, AND MANY SMILES OF CHRISTMAS!!

RC

Regarding a list of products not available to buy in Carthage at the present time, I've had some lists sent to me, as well as some other suggestions for temporary store fronts during the Christmas Holiday Shopping Season. Rather than post them here individually, however, I would prefer that many people would each send me their lists of such products, or suggestions, by email, and I will compile an aggregate list, and post it on here, so that no names are shown, as that is not important.

The purpose of developing such a list is 100% positive, intended only to help our business community.  When people go elsewhere to buy something we can't or don't offer it here, they're likely to buy other things which they could buy here. So if we can close any gaps, it will help our businesses.

Carthage is a great place to live and work.  Have a great day!

Robert
bwebb9@juno.com

SEPTEMBER 26TH 2007

JUST IN FROM CHENILLE!
CAST AUDITIONS
12 Days of Christmas
"Home for the Holiday's"
Dinner Musical in Carthage

Who: Males & Females Ages 16+
What: Cast Auditions for--"Home for the Holiday's --Journey back to the 1940s for a moving story of love and sacrifice. Lt. Edwin Berry is stationed overseas during World War II and has been chosen to celebrate Christmas with his wife and children for a special Christmas homecoming. He is later called upon by his commander for a special (and dangerous) mission to save lives, which only he can fulfill, making his homecoming impossible...possibly forever. Filled with upbeat, big band arrangements of carols and new songs, this USO staged musical brings the period fully to life.
When: Friday October 5th @ 7pm
Where: Center Stage Music (503 Main Street Carthage)
* Come prepared to sing a song no longer than 3 minutes, and do a reading that will be provided.
* Must be availabe to perform every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evening from Nov 29-Dec 22.-6pm-9pm tentatively
* Questions? Call (217) 357-6683
Why: Exciting opportunity to bring the community a high quality production of your  local talent performing the music of Christmas. A natural part of "The 12 Days of Christmas", "Home for the Holiday's" is perfect for local business's and organizations to come together and Celebrate Christmas at Home---for the Holiday's

Listing of Roles & Ages
Male; USO Radio Voice of Radio America
Male; 20's-30's military officer
Female; 20's-30's homemaker
Female; Older Berry Child
Male; Younger Berry Child
Male; 40's-60's Millitary officer
Male' 20's Young military soldier
Men's Quartet
Women's Trio
I JUST POSTED THIS TO EVENTS--"A CHRISTMAS WISH"
PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANY PERFORMERS FOR THE WISH!

SEPTEMBER 26TH 2007

IT'S TIME TO GET GOING!!!

HERE'S THE TENTATIVE CALENDAR FOR BAND/MEN'S CHOIR/CHILDREN'S CHOIR PRACTICE

BAND PRACTICE-
EVERY TUESDAY AT 5-6:30PM--CARTHAGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
OCT 9/16/23/30
NOV 6/13/20/27

MEN'S CHOIR-
EVERY WEDNESDAY AT 8PM--8:45PM--CARTHAGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
OCT 10/17/24/31
NOV  7/14/21/28

CHILDREN'S CHOIR-
EVERY TUESDAY AT 7PM-8PM--CENTERSTAGE MUSIC
OCT 9/16/23/30
NOV 6/13/20/27

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO WORKING WITH ALL OF YOU AGAIN! ANY QUESTIONS OR IF YOU KNOW OF ANY NEW MALE SINGERS OR CHILDREN SINGERS--PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG! THIS WILL BE THE LAST YEAR FOR "A CHRISTMAS WISH" SO LET'S MAKE IT THE BEST EVER!!!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
RHere is what I've received so far:

Types of stores we lack (with some specific products they sell):

Antique store
Vinyl sign store
Office supply store
Optometrist
Pest control
Theater
Monuments (tombstones)
Candy store
Carpet cleaning service
Jewelry store (we have jewelry repair and engraving)
Hearing aid store
Mobile home sales
Electronics store (flat screen TV's - and other kinds of TV's, DVD's, VCR'S, IPod's)
Video store (video and dvd tapes)
Certain types of clothing - carhaart. some children's and women's clothing, some types of shoes (athletic shoes mentioned)
Certain types of hardware - small kitchen applies (toasters, blenders, mixers, alarm clocks)
Small animal pet supplies
Bicycle repair (we do have an individual who does this)
Bookstore (newsland type store)
Bedding (sheets, spreads, pillows, etc)
Bath supplies (towels, curtains/rods)
Cloth material (other than cotton and fleece)
Vacuum sweeper sales and repair

Possible ideas for store fronts during the Christmas holiday season:
Amish/Mennonite goods
Bed, Bath and Beyond
Bookstore (there may be a temporary bookstore activity at the hospital auxiliary and at Carl Sandburg)

I'm sure these lists can be improved and more ideas presented. Really, it is amazing how much we DO HAVE in Carthage. We have a wide variety of products and services.

Robert

THIS IS A SAMPLING OF THE SEPTEMBER POSTINGS AT WWW.CARTHAGE-IL.COM  FORUMS---CARTHAGE BUSINESS NEEDS--GET CONNECTED AND JOIN THE DISCUSSIONS!! WE HAVE A VERY BUSY CHRISTMAS SEASON COMING AND WE NEED YOUR INPUT!

importuser

By importuser at 10/4/2007 2:08 PM

october 4th 2007

W.I.N.--(WHAT'S IMPORTANT NOW)

THIS IS THE FIRST EVER ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB EMAIL!!! SENT TODAY!

TAILGATE PARTY AT THE ILLINWEST--PITTSFIELD PARENT'S NIGHT FOOTBALL GAME
COME ON OUT AND TAILGATE BEFORE THE GAME!!! CARSON FORD WILL BE THERE WITH THE WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM FAN TRUCK AND WILL BE SIGNING UP ILLINI WEST FANS RIGHT UNTIL KICKOFF AND AT HALFTIME WE'LL BE GIVING AWAY A WAY COOL TAILGATE GRILLE TO ONE LUCKY ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB OR BOOSTER CLUB MEMBER!!! IT'S GOING TO BE A BEAUTIFUL EVENING SO PACK A PICINIC BASKET AND LET'S HAVE A TAILGATE PARTY!!!
WHO: ILLINI WEST FANS
WHAT: ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB TAILGATE PARTY
WHEN: FRIDAY OCTOBER 5TH 5PM--TIL KICKOFF
WHERE: ILLINIWEST FUZZ BERGES FIELD PARKING LOT
WHY:WEAR YOUR ILLINI WEST FAN CLUB BADGES AND GEAR, GET TO KNOW ONE ANOTHER AND HAVE SOME PREGAME FUN!! ONE LUCKY FAN WILL WIN A $500 TAILGATE GRILLE AT HALFTIME!! IT'S FREE AND FUN! PACK A PICNIC SUPPER AND JOIN THE FUN!
importuser

By importuser at 10/4/2007 5:16 PM

OCTOBER 4TH 2007

CALLING ALL PERFORMERS!
I know there is a lot of talent out there and we want you to strut your stuff during the 12 days of Christmas!!! The Northside Java/Centerstage are going to have an "Open Mike Night" every night during the 12 days. No act is too big or too small to perform at the"12 Days of Christmas Java Jam"!!! Christmas music, children's Christmas skits, praise bands, barbershop quartets, dance groups, square dancers, church choirs, soloists, high school drama clubs, Mcnamara's band, school chorus's, school bands, bible readings, ....you get the idea--right?!
anything that entertains is welcome--Jerilyn will be booking from 4-7pm every thursday/fri/saturday evening in 1/2 hour time slots so for the 12 days she can book 72 acts!!!! Get your act together and book your 1/2 hour of fame! Give Jerilyn a call at the Northside Java and book your time slot now--so you can get the best times!
jeilyn's phone number is 217-357-3648
importuser

By importuser at 10/10/2007 5:48 PM

OCTOBER 10 2007

Sorry I haven't been in touch for a couple of days. I've been to meetings in St. louis for Ford and numerous customer dealings. I hope everyone is ready for this super Christmas season. Please take a moment and post the plans for your business.

Carson Ford is planning on sponsoring one of the 16 spots on the square and hoping to get a display at the 4way stop called "BIG BOYS TOYS"
all the cool vehicles/cmpers--4wheelers that us big boys want for Christmas
were going to light up a big tree and put all the big boys toys under the tree!!
here are the business's that I hope to partner with:
CARSON FORD
CARL MOTORS
BERGMAN FARM SUPPLY
MERRITT'S FARM EQUIPMENT
KNORR AND WALKER
MARTIN AND SULLIVAN
GREAT LAKES BOAT
KOEHLER IMPLEMENT
IF YOU WANT TO DISPLAY A BIG BOY TOY---LET ME KNOW!
MERRY CHRISTMAS
ROB
importuser

By importuser at 10/12/2007 1:06 PM

Hi Guys,
I have been a little busy and haven't updated the Christmas activities in a few days. Many, many things are going on behind the scenes. I figured I had better put out a what is and what isn't happening. Here are the highlights.
[b]CW (A Christmas Wish)[/b] will be on Friday and Saturday only. ( I have talent conflicts on Thursday).
[b]HH (Home for the Holiday's)[/b] is scheduled for Dec 13,14,15 only at this time--(talent constraints and we want to make sure it's full) more dates may be added later
[b]JJ (Java Jam)[/b] The Northside Java/Centerstage is sponsoring an open Microphone stage during the 12 days. 1/2 hour per performance--that's six a night--any and all kinds of talent are welcome--not just Christmas Music--call Jerilyn at the Flower shop and book your 30 minutes of fame
[b]MM (Minny Mall) [/b] Sue Boyer is setting up a Minny Mall for retailers and displayers in the former Farm Bureau Building--bakers--candy--pampered chef--jewelry--crafts--etc...etc....give Sue a call at Simply irressistable and reserve your booth!
[b]WW (Winter Wonderland)[/b]--the Chamber calling log are working to secure 16 sponsors to decorate the inside of the square. If you want to showcase your business give me a call and I'll steer you to the calling log member that will help you along Rob---357--3154
[b]BBT-(Big Boys Toys)[/b] The 4way stop is going to display all the rides the big boys want--4 wheelers-boats-trucks-hot cars-trailers-riding mowers-all under a 30ft. tree. call Roger at Carson Ford if you've got a big boy toy! 357-3154
[b]12D (Twelve Days of Christmas)--[/b]Here is a rough list of the business's that will be open for our 1st annual 12 Days of Christmas! Carson Ford--Ben Franklin--Twaddle Furniture--Simply Irresistable--Country Pastimes--Northside Java--The Plumbtree Supper Club--Dairy Queen--Robert L. Webb CPA--The Wood Inn--The big boys toys (carson ford-carl motors-knorr/walker--martin/sullivan--koehler--bergman farm supply--great lakes--Merrits...etc at the 4way) If you are not on this list--Please let me know that you are going to be open and what your hook is going to be to bring your customers to Carthage during the 12 days of Christmas!
[b]RHL-(Red Hat Ladies)[/b] On Saturday Dec 8th the Red Hat Ladies are going to be shopping before and after the CW concert--were hoping to have up to 100 RHL's so be ready!
[b]CCC-(Carthage Christmas Cash) [/b] Participate in the Carthage Christmas Cash Promotion The Carthage Chamber has allocated $10000 in CCC at a 10% discount to be offered to the chamber members to use as Christmas gifts/bonus/incentives during the 12 days.
i.e.- your company can buy $500 of CCC for $450 and gift it to your employee's/customers/suppliers---then if all the business's offer 12 days special CCC promotions your and your neighbors employee's/customers/suppliers will spend CCC in your place of business! Get $500 for $450---give to your employees/customers/suppliers and get the money back into your cash register--does this make sense?
ideas to make your $'s go farther: gift as a gift to your employees--saves tax! make sure you have a unique and easily advertisable offer to attract those $5 CCC bills back to YOUR business! CCC will be available to 12d participants 1st and then to all chamber members on a first come first served basis. more details after our next chamber meeting!
wow I had a lot to talk about! What are you going to do to make your business stand out this Christmas! Need ideas--give me a call! My advice is always cheap!
Merry Christmas!
Rob
below find the w's for the events as I posted them today

OCTOBER 12TH 2007

W.I.N.---4th Qtr. Christmas activities updates

[b]12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS[/b]-The Twelve Days of Christmas is a multifaceted promotion to enhance holiday retail traffic and introduce prospective business's to the "Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall".
Here are the w's--
[b]Who:[/b] the Carthage retail business's, commercial property owners, community employers, and future business prospects

[b]What:[/b] "The Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall" will be transformed into a "Winter Wonderland" of the lights, sounds, smells, and shoppers of Christmas. What started with The Christmas Open House, then "A Christmas Wish" and now "The Twelve Days of Christmas will put Carthage on the map as the must see and do Christmas event of the season! Shoppers will be enticed to visit the "Mall" during the 12 days 3 ways
1) Every storefront will be open for Christmas business during the 12 days
2) Carthage Christmas Cash* will be distributed widely to the employees of the community to spend on promotions during the 12 days
3) Christmas light displays and Holiday entertainment will bring both performers and audiences to the Mall during the 12 days
[b]When[/b]- Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from Thanksgiving til Christmas
from 4-7pm
[b]Where[/b]-the entire business district of Carthage including The Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall and shops. Every storefront around the Square will be open for business with Christmas lights and gifts! The actual Courthouse lawn will be a "Winter Wonderland" of lights and displays of 16 local business sponsors.
Why--The Christmas shopping season is the biggest opportunity for the retail business's of Carthage to promote their products. These retailers, as one coordinated group,can concentrate on these 12 days-- just 36 hours--to ensure their most successful Christmas shopping season ever!

[b]CHRISTMAS WISH[/b]--The offical dates for "A Christmas Wish" are as follows:
Dress rehersal--Wed. December 5th---7pm
Thursday performance canceled due to conflicts
Opening Night!--Friday December 7th--7:30--9:00pm
Sat. Matinae--Saturday December 8th--2:30--4:00pm
Grand Finale--Saturday December 8th--7:30--9:00pm
Tickets go on sale November 15th---$12 per ticket--no reserved seating for general ticket sales
Here are the w's:
[b]Who:[/b] talented local musicians and singers performing the music of the Trans-siberian Orchestra---There is a rock band, a men's choir, a children's choir and many talented singers and actors--we are still looking for additional male singers for the men's choir and talented children singers for the children's choir--contact Rob Carson at Carson Ford
[b]What:[/b] "A Christmas Wish"-- A Christmas Concet featuring the music of the Trans-Siberian orchestra performed by very talented local musicians and singers
[b]When: [/b] Dec 7th and Dec. 8th It is a 2 hour show filled with the music of Christmas done in a very entertaining contempary fashion.
[b]Where:[/b] The performances will take place at the former Carthage College Auditorium in Carthage Ill. The stage is set in an abandoned Magical Theatre--so dress warmly and bring your honey to hold you tight to keep you warm.
[b]Why: [/b] To bring a Holiday treat to the people of Carthage, to showcase the tremendous talent we have here in the area, and to raise the awarness level of what the Carthage College Campus has to offer our community

[b]HOME FOR THE HOLIDAY'S[/b]-The official dates for the dinnner/musical are:
Opening Night--Thursday--December 13th 7pm-9pm
                          Friday-----December 14th  7pm-9pm
Grand Finale-----Saturday-December  15th  7pm-9pm
Reservations for groups will be taken beginning Monday October 15th
$25 per ticket 100 per performance maximum
Here are the w's:
[b]Who:[/b] Talented local actors and singers--working as waitors and then performing
[b]What:[/b] --"Home for the Holiday's --Journey back to the 1940s for a moving story of love and sacrifice. Lt. Edwin Berry is stationed overseas during World War II and has been chosen to celebrate Christmas with his wife and children for a special Christmas homecoming. He is later called upon by his commander for a special (and dangerous) mission to save lives, which only he can fulfill, making his homecoming impossible...possibly forever. Filled with upbeat, big band arrangements of carols and new songs, this USO staged musical brings the period fully to life.
[b]When: [/b] December 13th, 14th and 15th during the 12 days of Christmas
[b]Where: [/b] The Carthage VFW
[b]Why: [/b] To bring the people of Carthage and local area business and organizations a venue to stay "Home for the Holiday's" to celebrate the holiday season.

[b]A WINTER WONDERLAND[/b]--converting the Carthage Square into a stage for the lights, sounds, smells, and smiles of Christmas
Here are the w's
[b]Who:[/b] sixteen local business, organizations, and groups working with the local banks
[b]What: [/b] The Historic Carthage Square Outdoor Mall will be full of the lights, sounds, smells, and smiles of Christmas as 16 local organizations come together to create this must see destination--"A Winter Wonderland"
[b]When:[/b]From Thanksgiving til New Years--every evening will bring people to our community to see it.
[b]Where: [/b] The entire Carthage Business district focusing on the interior of the courthouse square.
[b]Why:[/b]The Winter Wonderland serves as the anchor for the entire 12 days of Christmas. It provides a destination point with all the lights, sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas not only during the 12 days but everyday during the holiday season.
importuser

By importuser at 10/20/2007 1:18 PM

OCTOBER 20TH 2007

Carthage Christmas Cash procedures--

[b]Who:[/b] Members of the Carthage Chamber of Commerce only

[b]What:[/b] CCC-(Carthage Christmas Cash) Participate in the Carthage Christmas Cash Promotion The Carthage Chamber has allocated $10000 in CCC at a 10% discount to be offered to the chamber members to use as Christmas gifts/bonus/incentives during the 12 days. (suggestion--order enough to give each of your employee's $50 of CCC this Christmas)
!

[b]When: [/b] Chamber members can request their allocation of CCC immediately. All members will be given the opportunity to buy as much CCC as necessary to fill their holiday bonus needs. However, only $10000 will be offered at the 10% discount.
All members must have their order in by Oct 31st to recieve the 10% discount. If the orders from the Chamber members runs over the $10000 limit each member will recieve a prorated portion of the discounted CCC. i.e.--if the chamber members ordered $15000 worth of CCC and your business ordered $1000---you would recieve 66% of what you orderd or $670 of CCC @ $603. You would then buy the remaining $330 of CCC at $330. Your total cost for the CCC would be $933 for $1000 of CCC! This will only be a concern if over $10000 is ordered by chamber members.

[b]Where:[/b] Please fill out and return the enclosed order form to the Chamber offfice no later than October 31st. After all the orders have been processed and orders filled you will be notified that you can come and pay for and pickup your order. This will be done as soon as possible after all the orders are in so that you can have the CCC to distribute as you see fit.

[b]Why:[/b]your company can buy $500 of CCC for $450 and gift it to your employee's/customers/suppliers---then if all the business's offer 12 days special CCC promotions your and your neighbors employee's/customers/suppliers will spend CCC in your place of business! Get $500 for $450---give to your employees/customers/suppliers and get the money back into your cash register--ideas to make your $'s go farther:
gift as a gift to your employees--saves tax!
make sure you have a unique and easily advertisable offer to attract those $5 CCC bills back to YOUR business

[center][b]CCC ORDER FORM
DOLLAR AMOUNT OF CCC REQUESTED $_____________
BUSINESS NAME___________________
BUSINESS AUTHORIZED SIG.____________________
MUST BE RETURNED TO THE CARTHAGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BY CLOSE OF BUSINESS OCTOBER 31ST TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE 10% CCC DISCOUNT
MERRY CHRISTMAS![/b][/center]