Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 8/29/2007 2:53 PM

Posted by:sdjody
If the business owner no longer has the storefront survey form - do they contact the Chamber office to receive another one or can you e-mail me the form?  I can probably get one taken care of (Kam) - I hope!
importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 8/29/2007 11:46 PM

Posted by:MattDickinson
I just requested an electronic copy of the Buildings Survey, Jody.  Cyndi will probably email it to me in the morning (Thursday), so I'll put it up on the Carthage site, and then you can download it by clicking this link: [url=http://www.carthage-il.com/business/bldgsurvey.htm]http://www.carthage-il.com/business/bldgsurvey.htm[/url]. (if this doesn't work, then it's not there, yet.).  Making it available was a great idea!

THANKS!  (and good luck with Kam!! :-) )
importuser

By importuser at 8/29/2007 11:52 PM

[b][URL=http://WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM]WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM[/URL][/b] has been updated:  It lists all of the special deals that I know of (from the list earlier in this forum), and it has a link to the NEWS RELEASE which was put out today (29th) by Rob and Nat (thanks to you both!).  There are still sections that aren't done, but the home page has the basics, and with these 2 new pages, I think we're well on our way.  Let's see if we can't get some more merchant participation, it'll be good for everyone!

One question:  Should I put a statement on the "Deals" page that these are only valid until the end of the 2007/2008 school year, the end of Football season, or anything at all, unless otherwise noted?  Sherricks' deal states 5/31/08 as the end date, very good!  Royalty's says "good for one week" but I'm not sure when that week starts, is it from Sept 4 for a week, or did it start this week, ending Sept 4, or ????  We just want to be clear, so nobody's disappointed based on what they saw on the web.

Thanks again, all!
importuser

By importuser at 8/30/2007 12:31 AM

NEW TOPIC!!!

I'll start a new discussion topic on this, just as soon as someone tells me where it should go (Tourism?  Government?  Retail?  Not sure!)...

I give full credit for this idea to Tom Seaver, this is NOT my idea (that's probably why it's so GOOD! :-) )

Tom and I were talking about the emmense Mormon geneology database that the church maintains in Salt Lake City.  If you've ever tried to research your family tree, you've probably run into this database, as it is not restricted to Mormons, but includes a LOT of information about millions and millions of people.  The Mormon faith encourages them to research and understand their ancestry, so they take it very seriously.  Well, as we chatted about this, Tom pointed out that there was one very important piece of data missing from this database.  It contains all the people-to-people relationships, birth dates, dates of death, marriages, etc. 

But it does NOT contain the LAND aspect of one's history.  For that, many families who had relatives in Nauvoo in the 1840's come back to good old Carthage, and scour the records in the Courthouse!  Ding ding!  VISITORS!!

Tom thinks that if we dig into the research process, we might be able to come up with maps of the county circa 1840's and then have a process explaining exactly what needs to be done to track down one's ancestral grounds.  Volunteers could (should!) be on hand, as the normal courthouse staff can't be bogged down in this during peak summer times.  Folks could do the research, and the volunteers, then, could show them where that land is currently, and could highlight a map showing them how to get to it.  There would have to be procedures, and as much red tape as necessary would have to be torn down.  The idea is to make this research easy, then advertise through the church that we're doing it (Tom might be able to help with this), and get THEM to send people to the courthouse to go through the process.  I'll just bet that one or two of those thousands will need a bite to eat or will shop while in town!

It's a big job, but we need to get thoughts together, and coordinate with the county (courthouse tours have been on "the list" for a long time, too, and this may be a chance to get enough traffic to start that up again as well).

Thoughts?
importuser

By importuser at 8/30/2007 9:33 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
AUGUST 30TH

HI TO ALL!

let me take care of some business W.I.N. (what's important now)--
[b]I NEED VOLUNTEERS TO MAN THE GOILLINIWEST TENT TUESDAY 6--THROUGH HALFTIME--PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME  KNOW[/b]DO WE HAVE SIGN UP CARDS DONE YET?
IS THERE A WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM BANNER BEING DEVELOPED
IS YOUR BUSINESS GOING TO HAVE AN INDIVIDUAL DISPLAY UNDER THE TENT?--EMAIL ME--GREAT WAY TO HIGHTLIGHT YOUR BUSINESS--RULES--DISPLAY ONLY YOU CAN'T SELL ANYTHING ONSIGHT--GIVEAWAYS ARE GREAT!!!
WHAT ELSE AM I FORGETTING?
THIS IS A REALLY GOOD PROJECT---ARE YOU ONBOARD?
importuser

By importuser at 8/30/2007 9:50 AM

AUGUST 30TH 2007

Matt,
Posting a Mapping Survey is a great idea. If everyone picks out one location--(like Jody did) :)---we could knock this thing out in a hurry. I just need to have contacts so I can start putting owners/leasors together for the 12 days.
thanks for posting the survey.
Rc

next.....
what a great idea to drive traffic the last 500 feet.
lot's of logistics to figure out---but Tom and you have found the golden goose for a reason to come to the Square!!! Maybe a kiosk in the lobby that could access the necessary property info? Make it part of the courthouse tour---all could research to see if their name shows up as original land owners?! Anyhow I am going to paste your original post into tourism and let Susan know it should be part of the last 500 feet project.
Great ideas Tom and Matt!!!!!
importuser

By importuser at 8/30/2007 11:38 AM

Posted by:sdjody
Working out the details to be able to hopefully help at the game.  (I have 2 meeting conflicts that I'm hoping are changed).  Do we have definite approval from the school for this event/tent & if so, what restrictions are there?  Freebies - pens / magnets which contain the business name.  Are they okay??
importuser

By importuser at 8/30/2007 2:46 PM

AUGUST 30TH

W.I.N.---(WHAT'S IMPORTANT NOW)
UPDATE:
TENT IS GOING UP ON TUESDAY WITH THE BOOSTER TRAILER

PAM AND KIRSTIN ARE BRINGING 2 TABLES, DRYMARKERS, PENS, SIGNUP SHEETS FROM THE CHAMBER, BUTTONS AND ATTACH SHEETS

JERILYN HAS A BANNER AND WILL ATTACH TO TENT

CARSON FOR EMPLOYEES ARE BRINGING ONE OR TWO TABLES AND MAYBE A NEW CAR FOR COLOR

VOLUNTEERS SO FAR: ROB,JEFF,SHAWN,GEORGE,PAM,KIRSTIN,KIM,JERYLIN,SANDY,NAT,JARED,BRENDA ETC....ALL ARE WELCOME

IF YOU HAVE A DISPLAY FEEL FREE TO BRING IT THE TENT WILL BE BIG ENOUGH TO ACCOMODATE YOUR DISPLAY

WHAT AM I MISSING? LET ME KNOW
importuser

By importuser at 8/31/2007 10:26 AM

AUGUST 31ST 2007

HI TO ALL!

Do you get the feeling that good things are happening in Carthage??!!! I am so pleased with everyone's efforts to make WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM fan club a success!!! We are getting an ever growing list of sponsors and as time goes on I believe we will see the needle move on our bottom lines!!!! Activity breeds activity and we are getting active!!!

Just to let you all know--I have recieved an enthusiastic thumbs up from the new owners of the auditorium, Carthage Veterinary ---"A Christmas Wish" ll is in the works!!!! TAKE A LOOK AT THE COMMUNITY CALENDAR AND CHECK OUT OUR GAMEPLAN FOR THE MOST SUCCESSFUL FALL/CHRISTMAS SHOPPING SEASON EVER!!!
http://www.carthage-il.com/forums/calendar.php
MAPPING OF THE COMMERCIAL BUSINESS
[b]FALL FARMERS MARKET
WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM--EVERY HOME GAME THROUGH THE YEAR
CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
A CHRISTMAS WISH
A WINTER WONDERLAND ON THE CARTHAGE SQUARE
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS DINNER/MUSICAL[/b]

Now is the time for you individually to take a look at your business plan for the 4th qtr and decide how you can partner up with these great traffic building activities to bring those potential customers in to your store!!!
special hours
extra effort to make your storefront welcome customers
christmas lights--christmas lights---christmas lights
extra inventory
innovative instore specials
partnering with other business to compliment each other
let the juices flow and get creative--it's so much more fun than complaining!!!!
importuser

By importuser at 8/31/2007 2:44 PM

[b]new addition to the go illini west offers

GOILLINIWEST.COM CURRENT OFFERS
ON ANY GAME DAY WEARING GOILLINIWEST.COM PIN:

CARSON FORD--HWY 136 CARTHAGE AND HAMILTON ---CARSONFORD.COM---1-800-728-3589---$7 MITT WASH AND CHAMOIS DRY CAR WASH JUST $5

COUNTRY PASTIMES--NORTHSIDE SQUARE CARTHAGE---Buy a bag of Aromatique Potpourri, get a matching votive FREE!

MARINE TRUST COMPANY--CARTHAGE--GET A 10 BASIS POINT INCREASE ON ANY CD PURCHASE

TOWNE HOUSE RESTAURANT EASTSIDE SQUARE-- CARTHAGE--357-3373   --Free drink* with the purchase of any food item. *Drink choices include soft drink, iced tea or coffee.

THE PLUM TREE SUPER CLUB AND LOUNGE--Eastside square--Carthage--357-3373-- $1.00 off our signature "Plum Tree Special" Sandwich Platter. Sorry, no substitutions.

FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF CARTHAGE will be glad to be a sponsor with the GoIlliniWestFanClub and provide a new bible as a gift.

HANCOCK JOURNAL PILOT--The Journal-Pilot will offer a subscription special for new subscribers in or out of the county. Since the district is #307, we will take $3.07 off the annual subscription cost, making the price $23.93/year. Again, this offer is good for any NEW subscriber

ROYALTY'S--CLOTHING STORE--WESTSIDE SQUARE CARTHAGE--357-2323---ONE WEEK ONLY SPECIAL --ILLINI WEST SS TEE-SHIRTS $8.99---ILLINI WEST SS POLO SHIRTS $12.99---ILLINI WEST SWEATSHIRTS $12.99

SIMPLY IRRESISTABLE--BEAUTY PARLOR AND SPA--NORTH MADISON CARTHAGE--357-3999--
10% OFF OF ANY RETAIL PRODUCT PURCHASED

SHERRICK DRUG & MEDICAL, 525 Main Street, Carthage will offer 15% off all "Leader Brand" items purchased when wearing the GoIlliniWest.com Fan Club button.  Offer expires 05/31/08.

KRBAVAC STUDIO-- 914 main st. Carthage--357-3591-- www.KrbavacStudio.com
During the Illini West 07-08 season set your appointment for a complimentary Illini West "show your colors" photo session. The session includes one child--small group of chidren--or family group. You will also recieve a special team discount on photo packages

THE WOOD INN--Northwest side Square--Carthage--357-3183---Catfish dinner special for $5.00 on ALL game nights, as long as the person is wearing the Illini West button or an official Illini West shirt.

LAMOINE RIVER LABRADORS--Intersection of Hwys. 94 & 136E, Carthage    (217) 357-2362
A.K.C. Registered Labrador Puppies Locally Owned and Family Raised.  $25.00 off any New Puppy Purchased  Owners, Tony & Kelly Freeman

CONN COMMUNICATIONS---Northside Square--Carthage--a free accessory for any new line activation with button.  Limit one per customer.

BEN FRANKLIN STORE--Northwest entrance Square Carthage--15% off any purchase game day wearing GOILLINIWEST pin [/b]

[b]TWADDLE FURNITURE--Northwest outside Square Carthage-- 357-2212
$2.00 off Tech Stain Remover

CARTHAGE DAIRY QUEEN--4WAY STOP--Carthage--357-6632--2.00 off any Ice cream cake

FIRST COMMUNITY BANK--MAIN STREET--Carthage--357-2198-- Open a Checking Plus Account and first months fee will be waived.

THE FLOWER SHOP--Northside Square--Carthage--357-3648-- 2 FREE latex balloons with any order of $19.99 or greater

NORTHSIDE JAVA--Northside Square--Carthage--357-3648--16oz. espresso for the price of a 12oz.

HOMETOWN UNITED APPAREL--Northside Square--Carthage--357-3648--FREE stampede towel with any apparel order![/b][/b]

The Courtyard Coffee & Bistro is "Come in anytime wearing your Illini West Fan Button and get a Smoothie for $2.00!  Good on any flavor, but we recommend you try our Orange Crush!  Go Chargers!"
importuser

By importuser at 9/4/2007 6:05 AM

SEPT 4TH 2007

Hi to all!

I just want to let you know that the tent is up. We had to put it on the east side of the football field due to size restraints, I think it will work fine.
I have to be gone today, but will be there this evening, Jeff Cokel, Shawn Gutting, George Pintar, and Roger Brierton will be available to answer any questions today. I will check in with them a couple of times today.

Go Illini West!!!!!
importuser

By importuser at 9/4/2007 1:56 PM

Posted by:SusanStarr
Matt or Jared,
On the Illini West website, can you change Marine's name from Marine Trust Company to Marine Bank & Trust?  The website looks great!
Thanks,
Susan
importuser

By importuser at 9/4/2007 2:45 PM

Susan - DUH!  Sorry about that, it's fixed, now!!!  Bad Matt!  :)

Everyone:  We are up to 23 "Deals" on the www.goilliniwest.com site, that's fantastic!  The latest that came in today is from Kara Cozart:

The offer from The Courtyard Coffee & Bistro is:
"Come in anytime wearing your Illini West Fan Button and get a Smoothie for $2.00!  Good on any flavor, but we recommend you try our Orange Crush!  Go Chargers!"

Also, some food for thought:  I had a very nice email from a person in Lomax over the weekend.  He recognizes that this site was put up by the Carthage Area Chamber, but wonders if we would accept promotions from businesses in DC, Lomax, Laharpe areas as well.  My reply was that I thought that was the eventual intent, that we should welcome other businesses to join this, and that he could email "deals" to me if he wanted them listed.  However, it's a committee decision, so I'll leave the final verdict to you all.  Personally, I think it'd be a great thing to do.  Regardless of the answer, this gentleman said he would be at the game, get his button, and be happy to patronize Carthage businesses.  NOW we're talking cooperation!  :)

Keep up the good work!  It's time to get our game faces on.  Good Luck, Chargers!
importuser

By importuser at 9/5/2007 9:25 AM

SEPTEMBER 5TH

Hi to all you retail warriors out there!!

Great job on the 1st ever WWW.GOILLINIWEST.COM fan tent!!! I thought it went very well. Our location could have been better but --you can't look a gift horse in the mouth! I have negotiated to leave the tent up for this Saturday's home game against midwest powerhouse Rushville!!! I have a baseball tournament for my youngest--so I won't be there---however I have Shawn, Jeff, Roger, and George willling to fill in for me.  Kickoff is 2pm so let's plan on 1pm for signup through halftime. I think more and more people are seeing the value of these pins--and they will come to town an hour or two early to take advantage of game day offers!

I need to know who is planning on working the tent Saturday---We had some local business have their own individual displays--CF had a couple of cars, FSB had their credit card, Kim had an awesome photography display, The JP had it's "We're Loyal to You" --the booster club--it was very nice--if you have a display--Chris had his annoying cell phone head bangers! :) The flower shop had baloons---What can you bring to the table for display? Please email reply to all letting us know if you can help out on Saturday.

There is a new poll!!!!!! please go to www.carthage-il.com  --forums--Carthage business needs--and vote right now! It is only going to be up for a couple of days and we really need everyone's input.

Here is the question:
What area business's should be allowed to participate in the "Go Illini West Fan Club" gameday offers?
1--Carthage Chamber of Commerce members only
2--Illini West School district address business's
3--Illini West School district address outside of the greater Carthage area
4--Any business anywhere if they are willing to pay a participation fee

Here is the situation--This promotion is being paid by the Carthage Chamber of Commerce retail committee. Any member of the Carthage Chamber of commerce is eligible to advertise their offer free of charge.  Some chamber members have been approached from the other illini west communities about being included in the program. Please take the poll and then give us your opinion on the forum. I will reserve my opinion until the end of the poll.

please email reply to all if you can help or bring a display Saturday--take the poll---and give us your feedback on the forum as to who should participate

Have a great day!! RC
p.s.--have you and your neighbor turned in their mapping survey?
importuser

By importuser at 9/6/2007 3:17 PM

SEPT 6TH 2007

Hi Guys,

Very busy week with jr high baseball and freshmen football. But I love it!
Anyway W.I.N. (What's Important Now)

the tent is up and paid for for Saturday--let's not let it go to waste!---right now I have Shawn, Jeff, Roger, and George from Carson Ford working the tent. Please email to all if you can help for a little while. All you have to do is hand people a sign up sheet and give them a pin when they return it filled out.

mapping--if your mapping is done--check on your neighbor to your left or right and make sure they have their's in!! It is imperative that we have ALL the stakeholders on the square's information so we can ALL work together to make the square a great outdoor mall! Remember-- one empty storefront at the mall and Ms. Shopper is OUT THE DOOR--- help your neighbor fill out their survey and help yourself!!

[b]W.I.N.-
please help man the tent Saturday 1pm through halftime--email to all--please!
help to finish up the mapping of the square--it's time to move on[/b]