Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 8/2/2007 5:28 PM

Posted by:carsnfrd
AUGUST 2ND 2007

Welcome Susan!

Great to have you onboard! I do believe this forum is a great place to conduct meetings and exchange ideas. IF you get a chance send me an email to carsnfrd@adams.net so I can add your email to my retail warriors list. That way when I have posted something new and worthwhile I sometimes follow it up with an email requesting everyone to visit the forum.

I asked Susan to post yesterday at the roundtable---now if you are reading this---could you post just a hi how are ya---like to see who's here!

2 days left on the retail committee first poll---if you haven't vote---please do so right away

if you haven't heard "Vocalpoint" mark your calendars for noon on August 14th on the courthouse steps!!! They are a group of young men from BYU that create incredible music with no accompaniment!!! O.K.---put on the thinkin cap---what can your business do to capitalize on this crowd drawing event---
sack lunches---for $4.95
homemade ice cream for a $1 a scoop
smoothies made to order
vocalpoint tshirts with pictures of the group standing on the courthouse steps
back to school in store specials????
Give me some of your ideas on how to bang it for an hour on the square that day.
I will be in St. Louis that day at a dealer meeting but Carson Ford is planning on sellin ice cream and having a minny car show
Really hate to miss it.
enough ramblin for today---again wlcome to Sue!
Rob
importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 8/6/2007 4:38 PM

Posted by:MattDickinson
Lots of good stuff on here, folks, keep it up!

Rob, you had a question for me today, and I had to experiment a little, but here's the process for adding pictures to forum messages.  PLEASE, people:  Pictures take up a lot of room on the servers, so don't paste large ones.  If you have an image editing program, crop and reduce size as much as possible while still keeping the detail that you want.

OK, that said, here's the process:
1. Before you even get to the forum, edit your picture down per the above.
2. Type your forum text as you normally do.
3. Click "Additional Options" right below the box where you are typing.
4. Click "Browse..." button and choose the image file from wherever it is on your computer.
5. Unfortunately, "PREVIEW" won't show you the results, you'll have to post and look to see if you got what you wanted.  If not, you can MODIFY your post to make it right.

good luck!

My company logo is attached as an experiment:
importuser

By importuser at 8/6/2007 5:54 PM

AUGUST 6TH

Hi to all!

Just got back from the farmer's market. It was a hot one! Looks like it is going to be hot all week.
Had a lunch meeting concerning the summit for the Chamber of Commerce. I believe this is the one most important meeting we as retailers should attend this year. The last one was held in 2005 and some VERY good things came from it. This meeting will be our one great oppurtunity to set the course for our community for the next 2 years!!!
I am going to repost the announcement from the chamber office. Please as a retail warrior in Carthage Illinois---RSVP back to Carla Mudd as directed on the announcement. This will make my job much easier as I told the others at the meeting today that I will call all 46 of the retail committee that haven't RSVP'd by Friday--and if I have to will personally pickup and deliver them to the meeting on the 16th. THAT IS HOW IMPORTANT THIS MEETING IS TO THE RETAIL COMMUNITY.
So please---please---save me a lot of work and email Carla today and let her know that you are going to attend the meeting. All you have to do is click on her email address and say yes--I am going to make my business better and attend. If you don't--that just means I'll have to call you Friday and get a verbal commitment!
Thanks so much!
Rob
here is the meeting announcement and Carla's email---
Carthage Stakeholder's Summit Set for Aug. 16

The Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a community Stakeholders' Summit beginning at 6:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 16 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Carthage. 

This Summit is a collaboration of the Chamber's membership services committee and the Mediacall Group of Macomb.  The Mediacall Group facilitated initial strategizing meetings in the fall of 2005, sponsored by a grant from the Highway 336 impact study.  At that time, Carthage embarked on several recommended strategies, including a "Shop Locally" media campaign, store signs encouraging and thanking local patrons and numerous volunteer-organized community events.

"It is now time to re-convene and evaluate the activities of the past 18 months, setting the stage and planning for the coming months.  The (chamber) retail committee has become re-energized, a community map has been widely distributed, and other community economic developments (proposed new hospital site, sale of former college campus, highway construction) have created a 'buzz' and excitement in the community," said Kay Norton, president of the Mediacall Group.

There was exceptional participation from chamber members, area business owners, and community leaders at the 2005 Summit.

"A lot of projects are in the works like the hiking and biking path, A Christmas Wish concert, mapping of the downtown area and more," said Carla Mudd, president of the Membership Services committee.  "Though there is a lot of volunteer spirit behind all of these projects, it's time to re-focus and expand our public relations effort as our community grows."

A continental breakfast will be provided.  RSVP is appreciated by calling Mudd at 217-357-3141 or via e-mail at cmudd@adams.net
importuser

By importuser at 8/7/2007 1:26 PM

AUGUST 7TH 2007

Hi to all! It has been pointed out to me that some of the building owners/business owners are concerned about divulging information about their property in the building survey. This is a legitimate concern and hopefully I can assure you all that this survey is intended to enhance not deture the property values in Carthage.

The building survey's that are currently circulating to the business owners in Carthage are part of a community mapping process that began a month or so ago. the mapping has 3 main objectives
1) [b]Find out who the property owners/business owners are.[/b]They are major stakeholders in the future of Carthage. Their property values will go up or down with Carthage's progress. The ability to communicate with these property owners/business owners will keep them informed of opportunities not only for Carthage but for their individual properties as well.

2)[b]What is the builidngs history, current use, and possible future use? [/b] The Carthage Square is on the list of national historic places as are many of the buildings around the square--this can be very good for tourism-- Many of Carthage's business properties are being utilized very efficiently. However, some are currently empty or are being grossly underutilized (i.e.--a property that could be leased for a retail storefront being used as a warehouse).--

3)[b]compiling the data into a concise format that can be utilized in the future.[/b] After all the information about each individual  property is gathered, this information will be available in one concise source. Property history---availability for sale or lease---current use---will be readily available for anyone that has an interest in the betterment of the Carthage business community. Tourist can find out about the history of Carthage's downtown, future business's can find out what properties are available and which one best suits their needs. The goal is to raise the value of all the properties of Carthage by having all the properties being utilized to the best of their ability. No empty buildings in Carthage is good for us all!

Please take a moment to fill out the survey for your property or leased property. Remember--the most important information is the current owner information--leasee information---history---current use---and your opinion of what it could be utilized for in the future. If there are any spaces you don't feel comfortable filling out---leave them blank.

Thanks for taking the time to fill them out and returning them to Cyndy at the Chamber office.---I am sure it will be to your benefit to do so!
Plus it will save the calling tree members a lot of time tracking down the the last few properties
Rob

importuser

By importuser at 8/8/2007 9:17 AM

AUGUST 8TH

Hi to all!

just got an email from John Huston--having trouble logging on---Matt sent him a very good step by step to the register and login process. I am going to paste it here for future reference.
John

I understand you emailed Cyndi at the Chamber office about how to get logged on to the forums so you can answer the polls.  She forwarded it to Rob and I, so maybe I can help:

I know you are registered on the calendar system, and you have been posting events for many months (THANK YOU!!!).  Depending on when you registered for the calendar, your user information MAY or may NOT have been copied to the forums.  So, you might already have an account (in that case, go to step ## and continue).  OR, you might need to register as a user on the forums as well (next step).
To register:  [b]From any forum page (from www.carthage-il.com, click on FORUMS on the left side margin, and youll go to the forums page), click register up in the far upper right corner (where it says login or register).  Fill out the form, and well get you authorized as soon as we can.
When you are notified that youve been authorized, you can go back to the forum page. [/b] To login, click login in the upper right corner of the forum page.
Enter the username and password you used when you registered.
Now, you can browse the forums, and will be able to post comments as well as answer the polls.
Let me know if you have any problems.  Thanks!
Matt
DISTek Integration, Inc.
(217) 357-3100

importuser

By importuser at 8/8/2007 10:29 AM

Aug. 8TH 2007

I am reposting this press release for "Vocal Point"---these young men are amazing entertainers and we are very blessed to have them performing on the Carthage Square!!! What can your business do to capitalize on this??
[b]Carson Ford is selling Ice Cream and having a new model car show
The Bistro is offering a preorder sack lunch--you can order it before hand and it will be ready to pickup just in time for lunch[/b]
Let me know what you can offer your customers that morning and I will add it to the list and put out a city wide email!!!!
but hurry the concert is next Tuesday!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BYU's Vocal Point plans two performances in Carthage Aug. 14

Brigham Young University's popular a cappella jazz group Vocal Point will perform at 9:05 a.m. and 12 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 14 on the Hancock County courthouse steps in Carthage.  The community is invited to attend.

The 9:05 a.m. performance will feature several songs and a live interview on WCAZ AM 990 radio with Don Thurman.  Listeners are encouraged to bring their lawn chairs.

Fans should also bring seating and a brown bag lunch to the concert at 12 p.m., which should last approximately 40 minutes.

Both appearances serve as part of their outreach program in connection with their nightly performances (except Sunday) Aug. 7-18 at Joseph Smith Auditorium in Nauvoo.  There will be a second performance at 8:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 10.  No tickets are required for any of the shows, but seating is first come-first serve.

The nine-voice male group combines vocal percussion and harmony to re-create some of the radio's biggest hits.  Popular with young and old, they bring enthusiasm to the stage nightly.  You'll be tapping your foot and joining in the fun.

The group was name 2006 Champion of the International Championship of Collegiate A Capella.  For more information on the group, visit www.byuvocalpoint.com

For more information on upcoming performances, call Nauvoo Restoration at 888-453-6434 ext. 124

-30-

importuser

By importuser at 8/11/2007 10:03 AM

AUGUST 11TH 2007

Hi to all!

On Thursday--August 16th at 6:30am--at the Lutheran Church--- The Carthage Chamber of Commerce member services committee is hosting a community summit to discuss where our community has been, what is currently happening, and what course the community should chart for the future. It is in every individuals (that has a dog in this fight) best interest to attend and actively participate in this endeavour.
Representatives from all aspects of the community have been invited to attend. Government, schools, business, religon, healthcare, senior citizens, property owners, will all be represented.
Here is just a small sample of what will be on the agenda:
--Tourism---parks and recreation---business climate---community calendar---technology---community image/marketing----new highway strategy (is it the road in to town or the road out of town)---hospital---east end development---college campus---Carthage Courthouse Square----etc...etc....
[b]This meeting will last a few hours---but will have a positive impact on this community for the next 2 years---if the stakeholders of Carthage ATTEND---CONTRIBUTE---AND COMMIT TO DOING THEIR PART TO ENSURE CARTHAGE REMAINS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE--WORK--WORSHIP--AND PLAY NOW AND IN THE FUTURE![/b]
Please plan on setting aside 4 hours this Thursday to be a part of this very worthwhile project!
Here is the press release for the summitt--please read and then rsvp to Carla Mudd today!
Carthage Stakeholder's Summit Set for Aug. 16

The Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a community Stakeholders' Summit beginning at 6:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 16 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Carthage. 

This Summit is a collaboration of the Chamber's membership services committee and the Mediacall Group of Macomb.  The Mediacall Group facilitated initial strategizing meetings in the fall of 2005, sponsored by a grant from the Highway 336 impact study.  At that time, Carthage embarked on several recommended strategies, including a "Shop Locally" media campaign, store signs encouraging and thanking local patrons and numerous volunteer-organized community events.

"It is now time to re-convene and evaluate the activities of the past 18 months, setting the stage and planning for the coming months.  The (chamber) retail committee has become re-energized, a community map has been widely distributed, and other community economic developments (proposed new hospital site, sale of former college campus, highway construction) have created a 'buzz' and excitement in the community," said Kay Norton, president of the Mediacall Group.

There was exceptional participation from chamber members, area business owners, and community leaders at the 2005 Summit.

"A lot of projects are in the works like the hiking and biking path, A Christmas Wish concert, mapping of the downtown area and more," said Carla Mudd, president of the Membership Services committee.  "Though there is a lot of volunteer spirit behind all of these projects, it's time to re-focus and expand our public relations effort as our community grows."

A continental breakfast will be provided.  RSVP is appreciated by calling Mudd at 217-357-3141 or via e-mail at cmudd@adams.net

importuser

By importuser at 8/11/2007 11:19 AM

Posted by:MattDickinson
Hi, Everyone!

It looks like we're getting in that summer rut again, and the board isn't very active.  With this [b]SUMMIT [/b] coming up on Thursday, NOW is the time for some good chatter.  What do all of you [b]RETAIL WARRIORS [/b] want to see done in and around Carthage to help your business?  How can marketing Carthage itself help your business?  What kind of marketing do we need, city, county, region, or what?  WHO is your target audience?  Do we want to work more at keeping locals home to shop, or at getting others to travel here to shop?  Is there a market for any Carthage merchandise on the Internet?  If someone gave you money to start an Internet branch of your store/business, would you?

This summit is YOUR BEST CHANCE at helping to direct the future of not only your business, but those of your neighbors as well.  I hope you all can make it. 
[hr]
On another topic, and Rob's talked about it already, too:  I have my lunch from the Bistro already picked out, and will order it Tuesday morning, to enjoy on the courtyard while listening to VocalPoint!  Are you ready?

[color=red]Hot hot hot[/color]?  Don't worry, it'll be over soon.  In the meantime, what can you do to heat up sales in Carthage?  Think it over...  and stay cool!
[hr]
CALENDAR: [move]14-VocalPoint NOON, on the courtyard      16-Summit 6:30-10:00 AM, Lutheran Church            21-Chamber Meeting NOON, Plum Tree[/move]
importuser

By importuser at 8/13/2007 12:48 PM

AUGUST 13TH 2007

God smiled upon two gardeners and provided them with good black dirt, a packet of fertile seed, warm sunshine, and gentle evening rain. One gardener took what the lord gave him and worked the soil, planted the seeds, weeded the garden, and harvested a bountiful crop. The second gardener ignored the gifts of the lord--didn't til the garden, threw the seeds to the wind, let weeds grow and entangle the crop.and thus had no crop to harvest.

Our community has been blessed with tremendous opportunity---new 4 lane highway, a revitalized campus, a great crop, a new consolidated 500 student high school, 60000+ tourism industry, a picturesque hometown square, county seat, hospital, lake, golf course, etc...etc...etc...
This Thursday we will come together as a community to discuss how we should use our community gifts for the next 2 years.

[b]As a Business retailer in Carthage, which gardner are you?[/b]

Please plan to attend, contribute, and commit to making Carthage a great place to live, work, and play! rsvp Carla Mudd today!

RC

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."
                                                              Steve Prefontaine
                                                                          World Class Runner

importuser

By importuser at 8/15/2007 2:39 PM

August 15th

O.K.

Show of hands. How many of you are planning to show up for the CofC summitt in the morning?
Just post me back---I am----or I can't
Thanks
Rob
importuser

By importuser at 8/16/2007 11:16 AM

AUGUST 16TH 2007

WOW!
What an energizer bunny meeting! The CofC services committee community summitt meeting was tremendous! Thanks to all that organized, facilitated, participated and committed to this endevour!

For those of you that couldn't make it from retail, here is a short of what the retailers contributed to a very busy agenda this A.M.
[b]1) This forum[/b]---this is the place to learn about what is happening about retail in Carthage!!
[b]2)community calendar[/b]--if everyone posts their events to the community calendar it can become the one stop shop for what's going on in the community--little secret---(don't be afraid to post a sale event for your business or a reoccurring sale day to the calendar)
[b]3)tying retail to community events[/b]---as the calendar evolves the retail committee will be able to better align promotions with other events in the community---i.e.---school events---mark your calendar for the Illini West--West Hancock Football game on 9/04/07 at 7pm This game is on a Tuesday and there should be a huge crowd for this game. The committee is open to suggestions as to how to market to this huge crowd---this is an example of how we can coordinate our efforts to benefit from community events.
[b]4) internet shopping mall[/b]----tremendous and very doable idea--members of the chamber retail committee can have a catalog page in a shopping mall website linked to the Carthage website---i.e.---a local merchant could list their widget with a picture, description, price and availability and have it go to a shopping cart. The potential customer could order the widget online, pay for it, and request shipping or just have it set aside for pickup later. This can be done very reasonably if the retail warriors want to pursue it.
[b]5)mapping of the commercial properties[/b]---mapping is essential to put potential retail business in touch with potential retail properties--this must be completed by the end of August--have you sent in your sheet?
[b]6)12 days of Christmas[/b]---A very exciting concept of bringing potential long term business's to Carthage to "test the waters" during the holiday season. This is one whole post on it's own. I'll add more later as time permits.
[b]7)MEETING!! [/b] Those in attendance at this mornings meeting felt that another face to face was necessary to put these projects in motion--so mark your community calendar! Tuesday--August 21st---7am--northside Java retail warriors unite! !hour meeting to discuss all of the above and much more---be there or be square! :)

o.k---the rest of you guys chime in remember this is your meeting! See ya Tuesday!
Rob
importuser

By importuser at 8/16/2007 1:55 PM

AUGUST 16TH

o.k. you guys--hit the reply button and type something! You surely have an opinion of the meeting this morning! let's hear it!

RC

p.s.---If you are in retail and would like to be included in a welcome/map/coupon/brochure type of promotion, please post what your business would like to offer up in the way of discount/freebie/giveaway/offer--the retail committee would like to put together a one size fits all package for the newcombers/tourist/illini west families that we can put together once and use all year. Make sense? PLease post your offer! Here's mine. what's yours?

[b]Carson Ford will offer a free car wash---$7 value! just bring in the brochure--offer good for one per household[/b]
importuser

By importuser at 8/17/2007 11:16 AM

AUGUST 17TH

HELLOOOOOO! Is there anybody out there? Oh well, I know I enjoyed the summitt!

Here's the agenda for the retail warrior meeting for Tuesday Morning 7am at the Northside Java!

[b]W.I.N.---[/b]
[b]What's Important Now[/b]

Illini West--West Central  Football game September 4th---how do we want to market to these fans--and in the future

12 days of Christmas---How exactly is this thing going to work to make everybodies cash registers ring through the entire Christmas season
1. store hours
2. mapping to fill every storefront with retail
3. nightly entertainment  to bring people to the town
dinner/musical for local business Christmas party/dinner
Christmas open house
Christmas Wish
madrigal dinner
WIU SINGERS
etc...etc...etc...
4. Carthage Christmas Cash
5. Winter wonderland lighting display
6. uniform storefront lighting display
7. Santa Claus

[b]W.H.A.T.[/b]
What Happens After This

Tourism strategy for L for L---the last 500 ft.---filling storefronts for the summer season----

internet shopping site for Carthage retail business

consolidated community calendar

Lot's to discuss---very exciting stuff! Why--because it will make us all more $$$
RC
See you Tuesday--be prepared to attend, contribute and committ!

importuser

By importuser at 8/17/2007 12:07 PM

AUGUST 17TH

JUST IN FROM BRENDA!

THINK ABOUT OFFERING SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN LIVE WITH FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. WE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT THIS EXACT SUBJECT TUESDAY MORNING---BRING YOUR COUPON THEN!
rc
Friends,

We are in the process of updating the Newcomers Booklet, which we give out to new residents of our community.  This booklet contains information about all the services that are offered in Carthage as well as a listing of all the businesses by categories.  Most are given out at the city hall when people come in to sign up for water service.

Also in the booklet are coupons for local businesses.  As part of the update, we want to let all Chamber members know that they can have a coupon put in the booklet.  Most of the current coupons are 1/3 page horizontal coupons (3 inches tall by 7 inches wide) that are copied and placed in the booklet.  To use them the people just need to cut them out with scissors.  There are a few that are loose coupons, which we put in a pocket of the folder containing the booklet along with a community map, and a Journal Pilot.  These loose coupons work also, though there is always a possibility of them falling out during transit.

If you are interested in having a coupon in our updated booklet, we need your copy by Friday, August 24.  Those who chose to include loose coupons should bring fifty copies of the coupon to either myself at city hall or Cyndi at the Chamber office.  Those who want theirs to be copied should bring one master coupon in the 3 inch by 7 inch format.  If you dont recall whether you currently have a coupon in the booklet, below is a listing of the coupons that I have now.  I will plan to include your coupon again in the updated booklet unless you call me.  If you want to see a copy of the booklet, you can come by city hall or the Chamber office.

This is an important service of the Chamber because it helps new residents realize all that we have here in Carthage before they get in the habit of going out of town for their shopping and services.  I hope that you will consider participating.

Brenda Pyatt

Brenda Gorrell Pyatt

Carthage Community Development

308 Walnut Street

Carthage, Illinois

357-3800

www.carthage-il.com

Current coupons:

Ab-solute Fitness

State Farm Insurance

Royaltys

Marine Bank

First State

The Flower Shop

First Community Bank

Plum Tree

HC Journal Pilot

Carson Ford

The Wood Inn

J & R Tire

Nutrition Services

Country Pastimes

McHugh Drug

Sherrick Drug and Medical

Memorial Hospital and Hancock County Nursing Home

Robert Webb Accounting

importuser

By importuser at 8/18/2007 9:47 AM

AUGUST 18TH 2007

THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS

[b]The Twelve Days of Christmas is a multifaceted promotion to enhance holiday retail traffic and introduce prospective business's to the "Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall".[/b]

[b]Who: [/b] the Carthage retail business's, commercial property owners, community employers, and future business prospects

[b]What: [/b] Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from Thanksgiving til Christmas "The Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall" will be transformed into a "Winter Wonderland" of the lights, sounds, smells, and shoppers of Christmas. What started with The Christmas Open House, then "A Christmas Wish" and now "The Twelve Days of Christmas will put Carthage on the map as the must see and do Christmas event of the season! Shoppers will be enticed to visit the "Mall" during the 12 days 3 ways
1) Every storefront will be open for Christmas business during the 12 days
2) Carthage Christmas Cash* will be distributed widely to the employees of the community to spend on promotions during the 12 days
3) Christmas light displays and Holiday entertainment will bring both performers and audiences to the Mall during the 12 days

[b]When:[/b] Thu   November 29th  4pm--7pm    "Christmas Open House"  The Beginning
            Fri     November 30th  4pm--7pm
            Sat   December 1st     4pm--7pm

Thu   December 6th     4pm--7pm    "A Christmas Wish"
             Fri    December 7th     4pm--7pm    "A Christmas Wish"
             Sat   December 8th     4pm--7pm    "A Christmas Wish"

Thu   December 13th   4pm--7pm
              Fri    December 14th   4pm--7pm
              Sat   December 15th   4pm--7pm

Thu   December 20th   4pm--7pm
               Fri    December 21st    4pm--7pm
               Sat   December 22nd   4pm--7pm

[b]Where:[/b] The Historic Carthage Courthouse Mall and shops. Every storefront around the Square will be open for business with Christmas lights and gifts! The actual Courthouse lawn will be a "Winter Wonderland" of lights and displays of 16 local business sponsors.

[b]Why:[/b] The Christmas shopping season is the biggest opportunity for the retail business's of Carthage to promote their products. These retailers, as one coordinated group,can concentrate on these 12 days-- just 36 hours--to ensure their most successful Christmas shopping season ever!

Carthage Christmas Cash  (CCC)*---The Carthage Chamber of Commerce has voted to make available $10000 in $5 increment CCC at a 10% discount to chamber members. The member business's are then encouraged to distribute the CCC to their employee's/customers/suppliers as part of their usual Christmas bonus/gift/incentive. During the 12 day there will be additional special promotions for patrons paying with CCC.