Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 7/22/2007 9:31 PM

Posted by:mtbtree
I like that idea,Shawn! It has been proved that this area has talent and loves music. I have had several people come to me about being a part of the Christmas Wish so I would think, that if marketed right, there would be alot of participation from the tri-state area. I would love to be a part of this! (The next Simon Cowell, perhaps) There is always the age limit that may limit the number of contestants. Anyway, I do like the idea and would like to see this happen next year!

Todd Boyer
importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 7/24/2007 6:23 PM

Posted by:tyrone jacoby
tyrone jacoby  i think what rob is doing is great and it is helping me to get into the swing of using my computer. I believe planning more town events are important to keeping people in town and to draw people to town . Choosing proper promotions
and working together to achieve this is important for everyone who wants carthage to succeed. thanks rob ,nat,matt,brenda,shawn. keep up the good work
as we will continue to help.
importuser

By importuser at 7/25/2007 11:04 AM

Posted by:sgutting
Hey big fella, it's good to see you on here.  It's great to see more and more people logging on and getting involved.  There are a lot of good ideas being shared on these forums.  We need to make sure that these ideas become actions.  There are some great ideas that shouldn't be forgotten.  These ideas should be discussed at the next retail committee meeting.  It's also our job to continually educate people on why it's important to buy locally, support local businesses, and get involved in community activities.
importuser

By importuser at 7/25/2007 6:45 PM

Posted by:weardrug
Hey guys, just been reading the posts. Some good stuff. One of the coolest things that I have ever seen done is a small town was in Memphis, MO (smaller than Carthage, although more isolated). We almost opened a pharmacy there a few years back. Community members renovated an old building on the square into a theater. They used mostly (if not all) volunteer labor. It is now a very nice theater where they get current, big name movies. They also use it for plays, etc. I believe they only play one showing a night. They use volunteer workers. The greatest part of it is they only charge $1 for the movie and pop, popcorn, and candy are $.50 (at least they were 3 years ago). Anyway, they get people from 40-50 miles away regularly, especially people with large families because it is much less expensive. Not sure if this particular idea is feasible, but it is a great example of how a small town that most likely could not support a for-profit business in a particular industry created a non-profit version that is a great asset to its community as well as drawing people from miles around. Keep up the good work
importuser

By importuser at 7/26/2007 12:23 PM

Posted by:MattDickinson
[b]WOW![/b]  It's great to see all of this activity, folks!  I think Rob will be pleasantly surprised when he gets back from Vacation, so thanks to all who have taken the time.  I'm a little behind, so it's time to catch up:

Rob, last I knew, the Plum has a wireless access point upstairs run by one of the tenants up there.  I'll try to track him down and see if he would mind us borrowing a little airspace for the next chamber meeting, and if that's ok, we'll get the laptop and put it to work!

Rob (again):  I also have that historic district document that shows the layout of the buildings around the square (and within 1/2 block of it), and that's a good map to use.  I need to find it (or get yours from you, which might be easier than finding anything in my office!), and scan it so we have the computerized version.  Then, I think we'll be able to set it up on the web site, so that when you run your mouse over a building, basic information about that building will come up, and if you click on the building, maybe history and details come up on a page?  Just what I'm thinking now, anyway.  We could color the buildings RED, BLUE and GREEN, maybe ([color=green]GREEN[/color] means AVAILABLE for rent/lease, [color=red]RED[/color] means for sale, and [color=blue]BLUE[/color] means already occupied?).  Lots of possibilities, but the big job is getting all of the information from the current owners/tenants (come on folks, help us out here, please!).

One other retail thing that Rob has mentioned a little bit in passing, but we haven't concentrated too much on:  Store hours.  I know it's too much to ask of store owners to expand hours, sometimes, as that costs a lot, but what if the hours are shifted.  Rob has mentioned opening at 10 in the morning if you must in order to stay open until 7 at night during the Christmas season as an example.  I'm not sure that we couldn't expand that concept to year-round.  Yes, all of the people working in retail would still be working while other stores are open, BUT all of the people commuting back to town, or working at Methode, or anywhere else would be able to come HOME and shop in the evenings.  I'm not a retailer, so certainly can't vouch for the validity of this theory. I just wanted to toss it out and see what the retailers think.  Things like that, if done, have to be committed to for a long-enough time for the public to be able to trust that you'll be open when they get to your store, but if it works, it'd be an easy fix for some of the "shop-at-home" issues.  Think about it.

The Christmas season is just around the corner, so let's get fired up!  Thanks all, and keep the suggestions coming!!!
importuser

By importuser at 7/26/2007 12:30 PM

Posted by:MattDickinson
Ooops, forgot more:

Craig, thanks for the story about that theater.  I think one of the Quincy TV stations did a story on it in the last few years, and it sounded great.  I wish we could get the old Woodbine renovated, so if anyone wants to take that on, it'd be wonderful (well, ok, you might have some concrete and sand to move out, as that floor was leveled many years ago).  But regardless, it's those kinds of ideas and ambition that will turn this square into the bustling center of Carthage that it once was!

Barb, you might check with Brenda if you haven't already, about lease/rent rates around the square.  She's researched that kind of thing for a sorts of businesses when they asked in the past, although I don't know that she would have current number.  That's another good reason for the square mapping project, you shouldn't have to ask these days.  Good luck, sounds like a great idea!

One last thing:  [color=red]If you haven't done it yet, do it NOW:[/color]  Go to the top of this page, and TAKE THE POLL.  We have to know which activities/promotions you'd prefer to see us working on.  Stop reading, go do it now!  :)
importuser

By importuser at 7/28/2007 4:16 PM

Posted by:carsnfrd
JULY 28TH

I'm back from vacation!!! Thank you guys for typing away! I am just reading emails and am going to cut and paste a couple in to  the meeting. Remember---this is the retail committee meeting going on 24/7--so I post--you decide---and respond or forever hold your peace!
All ideas and comments are welcome---more Monday when I'm back in the grind!
from Brenda---

Rob and Chris,

If youre putting together an agenda for the next retail committee meeting, I would like the group to talk about having some type of Red Hat Ladies day.  We still have the address list of all the ladies who came to our Red Hat event last year.  Since we are not having the Poker Run this year, I think we could use those names and just invite them to come for a day of shopping and lunch.  All this would be on their own, i.e. nothing organized.  Possibly we could ask some of the businesses to provide some special Red Hat coupons.  As far as I can see, it would involve contacting businesses to get coupons and sending out the letter. 

This is just a way to keep in touch with the Red Hat ladies that wouldnt involve much work.  Hopefully the committee can discuss it and we can see what they think.

Brenda 

[b]here is a response from Chris--[/b]
My wife and I could head this up.  Maybe we could have the day end with a dessert thing at North Side Java (if Jeralyn was okay with it).  The coupon thing would be a good idea, also.

The dessert's would have to be contributed from some of the retail committee members.  We would provide a couple cakes.

We would get the letters mailed out (are stamps provided?).

I apologize for not being able to be at all the meetings and be more involved than what I am, but I work for someone and have appointments and commitments I have to keep.

I will do what I can.  I hope you guys understand.

Chris

RC--I think the RHL'S are very important to retail committee--my personal thoughts were to include them in a special during the 12 days of Christmas--but if the group want to plan something sooner---lets go for it---it looks like Chris is in--lunch and dessert--who is willing to organize special coupons--or other ideas?
RC---also the theatre idea is amazing!!!--can you say College auditorium? did you know Ted Nugent once played at the auditorium?---why not have him back?
importuser

By importuser at 7/30/2007 5:40 PM

JULY 30TH

Hi to all!
1st day back from vacation--it was a doozy! Missing some of the employees due to vacation and personal dealings---so I didn't get much accomplished.
I am thinking that the retail committee needs to have a face to face meeting. Does Carl Sandburg, Illini West, Computing Made Easy, or someone have a large # of classroom computers that could all be connected to this website simultaneously?
My thoughts are that we could teach all the retail warriors how to register/logon/blogon so that this virtual meeting goes on with all interacting and we can also meet face to face to plot our strategy going forward.
Please let me know what are the best times for a large turnout!!! Morning,afternoon evening? Monday---Friday? Where--computer lab somewhere? Please give me your input ---I'm burnt talk to you tomorrow
RC
importuser

By importuser at 7/31/2007 9:36 AM

Posted by:pam
Hey Everyone,

All the ideas are good, but its going to take a lot of time and effort not only from the retail committee but the business owners as well. I am commited to trying someting new, If maping the square will help bring more business, the 12 days of x-mas will be more successful. That in turn will bring more excitement and people will want to come year round.

As far as ridiculous day, red hat, etc... thats done and over we need a new twist on things.

Also, I think we need to have a face to face meeting in the morning so more people can come. I know myself, and a few others cannot get away at the noon hour.

importuser

By importuser at 7/31/2007 11:46 AM

Posted by:chamber
EVERYONE SHOULD COME TO THIS SUMMIT...

July 31, 2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Carthage Stakeholder's Summit Set for Aug. 16

The Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce will hold a community Stakeholders' Summit beginning at 6:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 16 at Trinity Lutheran Church in Carthage. 

This Summit is a collaboration of the Chamber's membership services committee and the Mediacall Group of Macomb.  The Mediacall Group facilitated initial strategizing meetings in the fall of 2005, sponsored by a grant from the Highway 336 impact study.  At that time, Carthage embarked on several recommended strategies, including a "Shop Locally" media campaign, store signs encouraging and thanking local patrons and numerous volunteer-organized community events.

"It is now time to re-convene and evaluate the activities of the past 18 months, setting the stage and planning for the coming months.  The (chamber) retail committee has become re-energized, a community map has been widely distributed, and other community economic developments (proposed new hospital site, sale of former college campus, highway construction) have created a 'buzz' and excitement in the community," said Kay Norton, president of the Mediacall Group.

There was exceptional participation from chamber members, area business owners, and community leaders at the 2005 Summit.

"A lot of projects are in the works like the hiking and biking path, A Christmas Wish concert, mapping of the downtown area and more," said Carla Mudd, president of the Membership Services committee.  "Though there is a lot of volunteer spirit behind all of these projects, it's time to re-focus and expand our public relations effort as our community grows."

A continental breakfast will be provided.  RSVP is appreciated by calling Mudd at 217-357-3141 or via e-mail at cmudd@adams.net
importuser

By importuser at 7/31/2007 12:41 PM

JULY 31ST 2007

Hi to all!

Thanks to Pam for her input and to Cyndy at the Chamber for posting the summit info. Here is my thoughts for the retail warriors. Let's all try to attend the summit on the 16th! Anyone that deals in retail or has ties to those that deal in retail should plan to attend this very important meeting.

Although the Chamber is not just about retail----retail is what pays the freight--- After the summit Eric Dooley has been kind enough to offer up his computer learning center on the northside of the square to facilitate a signup and learning session for the retailers that need a little instruction in the fine arts of forum blogging. If you have an email address---you can stay connected to what's going on in Carthage--of course!

Everyone--please-- send in your RSVP to Carla and plan to block off the whole morning for the summitt and  the computer session! [b]This is without a doubt the most productive place you should be for 1/2 day![/b]
importuser

By importuser at 8/1/2007 10:54 AM

AUGUST 1ST

Hi to all! I don't know about you-but I am glad July is over with!!! Now I can concentrate on making the second half of this year a real humdinger!!!! (love that word!)
Here are the positives I see going forward---
college campus is looking good!
mapping of the square is ongoing--should be done by end of august
the corn and soybean crop is A+ and the prices are good!
lots of job want ads in the papers
the retail warriors are getting organized to be one united marketing group
small town america is on the rebound--are we asking these people to come to us?
new hospital is moving forward
senior housing has broken ground
the 4 lane highway is less than 2 years away from completion--20 minute drive for 12000 people from Macomb to visit us--35 minute drive for 20000 people to visit us from Quincy---100000+ new traffic driving by our community annually
shop locally education is out there and hopefullly ongoing
tourism is alive and well--we are partnering with Nauvoo and the Looking for Lincoln groups to Make Carthage the gateway for the Nauvoo and LFL  tourist to crossover  and spend an extra day or two in our area.
Wow---I am sure there are more positive things that I haven't mentioned but that's a pretty darn good list!! I tell the guys here at Carson Ford --- give me any day of the year and I can give you an excuse for why I didn't sell something today--now here are 10 reasons why we are going to be successful! Let's get busy and have a great second half to 2007!

Rob

[b]Just in from Todd at channel 7 --he emailed to me and I am cutting and pasting to the forum--VERY COOL IDEA[/b]!

Everyone-

I would love to attend this meeting, but unfortunately I will be in Jamaica on my wedding/ honeymoon.  (o.k. its not unfortunate, actually I can't wait!)  but I would like to be involved.  I feel something big happening with the renewed vigor of all of the retailers in Carthage.  Anything I can do to help, I will.

I met recently with Kirk Brandenberger with the Keokuk CVB, and we got to talking about some of the lost history in Keokuk.  I was surprised at some of the things that I didn't know about the tri-states, and it got me thinking about a project to help inform people of this history.  I am trying to put together a series of vignettes about "Hometown or heartland History" which would be featured either in our news product and/or in a weekend short program and include little known facts about some of the historical sights that I feel we all take for granted.  It seems to me that the importance of our historical sights and/or people in our history has been lost over the generations and it may renew some interest for people that live in the tri-states to make the drive and tour some of these places.  It is also my goal (if it is possible) to put these all on one DVD and not only offer it at each convention and visitors bureau in the tri-states, but also at hotels and motels throughout the area for visitors to have.  Kind of a video brochure of local attractions.  One DVD that would be distributed, well as far as we can get it to go.  Maybe to even some of the CVB's of our sister stations.  Again this is a goal but we will see how it turns out with the costs involved.  Which brings me to the next issue, Sponsorship Opportunities to be included in the programming and on the DVD.  These sponsorships could include businesses, shopping malls, travel agencies etc. or even annual events such as county fairs, Christmas wishes, annual festivals, farmers markets, CVB's, tourist attractions and the like.  But we will figure that out later.

I am attempting to do some research and could use the help of anyone interested.  I am not looking for the obvious.  We know where to get that info.  But I am looking more for as Paul Harvey would put it, "the rest of the story"  Things that even some of us locals might not know or remember.  Any help that I could get would make this series more interesting and would help to catch peoples attention.  Brenda, I will be calling you to try to set up a meeting and get your input very soon. 

I hope to hear from you soon with your help or input.
Thanks,
Todd Wagner
KHQA
(217)222-6200

importuser

By importuser at 8/1/2007 2:01 PM

Posted by:weardrug
Just wanted to say that I was impressed with the Farmers Market Monday. I am ashamed to say that is the first time I have been (wife won't usually let me off work). This board gave us the idea of finding a way to get something up there from our business. For those of you who weren't there, we recently purchased a machine that will print any image on a number of sports balls, ornaments, etc. They are really nice. We set up a table Monday, but were a little late and did not get a very visible spot. It was nice to take part though and I think if we could all get something up there as much as possible it will really continue to take off. Just wanted to thank this board (esp. Rob) for the idea and hopefully it will take off.

Craig
importuser

By importuser at 8/1/2007 4:55 PM

Aug 1st

Attended the roundtable at noon today---very good presentation about senior housing---great food for thought
hopefully the roundtable attendees are reading this--I encouraged all to visit and join in the conversation

thanks to Craig for the kind words. I wasn't at the market because of vacation and my ice cream guru (Ann Cokel) had a funeral to attend. We'll be there next week!
Craig--give Lori a call about the imaging--she manages Jason Otter of www.otterbasketball.com they are always marking basketballs and such.

talk to you'all tomorrow
RC
importuser

By importuser at 8/2/2007 10:32 AM

Posted by:Marine Bank
Hello to everyone!  My name is Susan Starr, and I just moved to the area and joined the Marine Bank team last week.  I am very impressed with this forum, and all of the response it has received.  I'm looking forward to becoming an active part of this community.  I will be attending the Summit on the 16th, so if I didn't meet you at the Roundtable yesterday, I'll look forward to meeting you at the Summit!

Susan