Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 2/14/2009 9:02 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
February 14th 2009
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!!

I am so excited about Carthage's possibilities!!!! CSC President Tom  said the auditorium will be ready for Carthage's annual Christmas program----so I guess that means I'm in for one more "Christmas Wish"!!!
I pledge to you that it will be an awesome show with a combination of the old "Christmas Wish" and many new and exciting entertainment! AND it will be in our brand new Auditorium!!!!! HEAT--FLUSHING TOILETS--POWER--I CAN'T WAIT!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS TODAY FOR "A CHRISTMAS WISH 2009" the weekend of Deceber 11th 12th and possibly 13th!!!!

Now --I've committed---are you ready to also?
2 years ago we started the 12 days of Christmas and last year we dropped back and punted---this year can be huge ---if we all committ to doing our part--here is the 1st post I put up in June of 2007--it gives us a great starting point to plan for this year's 12 days of Christmas promotion---if we all buy i---it will be tremendously successful!
here's the post from 2 years ago

Hi guys!
Thanks to Nat for the upgraded mission statement. I think it says it all!
All righty then---I am so pleased with the "handraisers" for retail warriors. I truly we can accomplish great things working together.
So where do we begin......let's start with W.I.N.---What's important Now---to the retailers warriors of Carthage
here is my list---PLEASE ADD YOUR THOUGHTS--this is a virtual meeting place

1)we need to know what we've got---currently the chamber is conducting a mapping of the square properties. This is being done to know who owns what building--what space is available for sale or lease--what is the property best suited for...Please take the time to fill out your property assessment sheet or if your approached by one of the calling tree chamber members please take a moment  and help them out. Once we  gather all this information we can facilitate filling empty storefronts--utilizing buildings around the square for their optimal use and putting potential future entrepeneurs in touch with current owners/operators. We need to look at our downtown business district as an open air mall---you know what empty storefronts look like in a mall don't you---- LOSERVILLE----more on this later BASIC MAPPING HAS BEEN DONE--NEEDS UPDATED AND BUILDING OWNERS CONTACTED---CHAMPION: CARTHAGE REAL ESTATE AGENTS ?

2)we all need to work off the same calendar---the city, school district, chamber of commerce, tourism committee, ministerial alliance, Nauvoo tourism, service clubs---all need to have one calendar that we can all depend on---in this very busy world it is going to get more and more difficult to attract our customers to our community and hold them here if we aren't letting them multitask. For example--with the new school district bringing in many more students, parents, grandparents, and siblings for school activities, we as retailers need to coordinate our events around school functions--so while they are in town for Johnnie's game they are also invited to a retail function prior to or after.
  Also when we do have events we will all know how and when to market them jointly. Our group should be able to post an annual calender of major retail committee sponsored events so that we all have ample lead time to prepare individually for them.  This website has a very good calendar--I just haven't been able to figure out how to post events to it yet. Help me Matt! THERE IS A COMMITTEE WORKING ON THE CARTHAGE WEBSITE AS WE READ!!! CHAMPION: CARTHAGE WEBSITE COMMITTEE

3)Christmas!!!---Ah my favorite time of year! As long as we can make the cash registers ring!!! From Thanksgiving til Christmas we as retailers need to go full steam ahead to try to capture as many shopping $'s as possible! To do this ALL the Merchants in Carthage need to be on the same page to attract and retain these shoppers. The Christmas open house is a great kickoff to the holiday shopping season! But after a kickoff you still have to play 4 quarters to win the game!!! CHAMPIONS: CARTHAGE RETAIL COMMITTEE

1st quarter---the twelve days of Christmas Shopping in Carthage---every thurs/fri/sat between Thanksgiving and Christmas (12 days)we must have entertainment/activity to draw traffic to carthage---i.e.--Christmas open house-----Christmas Wish--local school Chirstmas Concert---Chirstmas dinner/theatre--whenl the local business owners  have their Christmas dinner/parties at our local restaurants/dinner theatre during the 12 days--the local employee base could be enticed to do some Christmas shopping before the party with a Christmas bonus of Carthage Christmas Cash. It is my hope that the Chamber will offer Carthage Christmas Cash (up to a total of $10000) to it's members at a 10% discount. CCC could then be distributed as bonuses/gifts during the 12 days. Each individual retailer can offer their own specials for CCC during the 12 days. LOTS GOING INTO THIS--MANY CHAMPIONS---ONE OVERALL CHAMPION THE COFC!

2nd quarter--ALL Carthage retail merchants and square Business's open til at least 7pm (so people can come eat dinner and shop before the events) anything less than 100% participation is unacceptable! Don't open til noon if you have to but be open when the traffic is there! yes--Carson Ford will be open at the 4way along with other highway retailers!THIS IS SO EASY TO DO AND SO HARD TO CONVINCE!!! THIS IS A MUST 100% COOPERATION--INCLUDING BANKS--INSURANCE OFFICES--COURTHOUSE--EVERYBODY!! LET'S SAY 4 TIL 6PM---THAT'S 2 HOURS X 12 DAYS---LET'S GET THIS DONE!!!!!CHAMPIONS---EVERYONE!

3rd quarter--NO empty unlit storefronts during the twelve days of Christmas. Every storefront around and leading to the Carthage square will be outlined with miniture white Christmas lights (Tyrone get your order in) AND with an open and operating retail or service business in the front!!! The mapping of the square will allow us to put up to 11 local part time retailers in the empty storefronts during the 12 days. Weber Meats, pampered chef, Nauvoo fudge, Dadant's,Baxter vineyards, Amish furniture,Santa photography,..etc.....will fill the empty windows for 12 days!!!There will be a retail presence on our square again!CHAMPIONS: TOURISM AND RETAIL COMMITTEE WORKING WITH AREA MERCHANTS AND THE STORE OWNERS

4th quarter---The inside of the square will be a winter wonderland of lights, sounds and activities of Christmas! The square will be divided into 16 sponsored areas (local business, service groups, etc) with one goal in mind---to turn the Carthage square into a festival of lights! Keokuk has Rand Park---Quincy has the Avenue of lights---Carthage can have "a winter wonderland" right smack in the middle of our retail center! Shoppers will come just to see the lights and spend money!OUR COURTHOUSE IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL IN THE USA!!! WE NEED TO HIGHLIGHT THE CENTER OF OUR COUNTY BY LIGHTING IT UP VERY TASTEFULLY AND BEAUTIFULLY! CHAMPIONS: HANCOCK COUNTY BUILDING COMMISSION AND THE COURTHOUSE CENTENIAL COMMITTEEE ALONG WITH THE CHRISTMAS LIGHTING COMMITTEE

If we play hard for all 4 quarters we will win this game! If we ALL work to make the 12 days of Christmas in Carthage a success we can all enjoy the fruits of our labor and can fall into a big heep in January!

WOW---my fingers hurt---your turn to type! I know we can do this together
LEt's Roll
Rob

WE HAVE A VERY UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON TO HIGHLIGHT CARTHAGE'S CHRISTMAS MAGIC! THE NEW AUDITORIUM GRAND OPENING AND "A CHRISTMAS WISH" WILL BRING 100'S IF NOT THOUSANDS OF NEW FACES TO OUR COMMUNITY AND WITH A CONCERTED EFFORT BY EVERYONE--WE CAN SHOW THEM ALL JUST HOW UNIQUE AND WONDERFUL CARTHAGE IS!!!
WE CAN DO THIS!

importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 2/17/2009 10:24 PM

Posted by:JMurphy
Great post, Rob!  It's never too early for retailers to start thinking about the Christmas season.

I wanted to reply because not too long ago I was talking with someone from Carthage about the square and how great it could be to open a business on, but the person skeptically told me that if a business wants to be successful, it needs to be on the highway.  I've been thinking about that comment for some time, and the only way we're going to change people's minds is by making the improvements discussed at our meeting (improving store fronts, filling empty spaces, lighting the sidewalks) and making a concerted effort to make the square the "shopping mall" of Carthage.  All small towns need a "hook" for their businesses to be successful and attract customers, and making our square the best small town square for miles around will attract potential retailers.

I'm with you 100%, Rob.  I know we'll be discussing ideas at this week's retailer committee meeting.  It's open to anyone interested in making Carthage retailers successful.  We will be meeting at The Wood Inn, Friday, 2/20/09, at 12:00.  Bring your ideas!!!

Also, I think I like this slogan the best for Carthage, "Don't just make a Living, Make a Life!"
importuser

By importuser at 2/19/2009 1:37 PM

Thanks for the post!!! I still believe this is a great venue for discussion and organization between the scheduled meetings. I'm working on a lot of things for tourism. I'll try to be at the Wood for lunch tomorrow to give some insight as to what I'm working on.
RC
importuser

By importuser at 2/19/2009 2:24 PM

Well,
Here is the short story of what I have in mind.
I took the chair of the tourism committee for this year on the chamber because of what I think can happen.
here it goes
from the 1st of may til the end of August starting 2010

1) Branson type show in the auditorium every Fri and Sat night--(prairie home companion format)--filmed and streamed to the internet eventually
2)mon-fri noon time meal with entertainment for tourism and tour busses coming to the jail/square
3)Friday night pig roast and hoe down prior to the show-complete with country and western band and square dancers
4) empty store fronts and regular business storefronts converted to retail every fri and sat with local artists/craftsmen/retailers/organic farmers/..........
5) market this to ALL the mormon busses--bank senior citizen groups for one/two day bus trips (how many trips can a blue hair take to Branson) , Amtrak weekend train getaways......
AM I THINIKIN OUTSIDE THE BOX OR WHAT!
importuser

By importuser at 2/21/2009 11:48 AM

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL INVOLVED!!!
THIS TAKES THE COOP IN COOPERATION TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL!!!
AWESOME JOB TO ALL INVOLVED!!!

Western Illinois Electrical Coop, based right here in Carthage, IL, won a national award for Community Service at the national convention of Rural Electric Cooperatives in New Orleans, LA, in February, 2009. This video was shown to convention attendees, and is a MUST SEE, showing community involvement from many groups. Congrats, WIEC!!

GO TO THIS HOMEPAGE AND WATCH THE VIDEO!! WWW.CARTHAGE-IL.COM

importuser

By importuser at 3/6/2009 3:20 PM

March 7th 2009

Hi to all!
Sorry I haven't posted lately. Car business is a little hectic! Some really great things happening in our area.
Here is my advice for today. I am trying to live by it
shut off the tv and the internet business news
focus on what I'm here for (on this earth I mean---to be a good husband, father, friend, son, neighbor, car dealer, community member)
praise God for all the good things he provides me with every day!
If we all look out for one another around here---we will have such a great time!!!
God bless
rob
importuser

By importuser at 3/14/2009 10:09 AM

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!!
Carthage Family Fitness Spring Extravaganza
Saturday, April 11th
6-11pm
Carthage Eagles
Tickets $50 per couple
Sit Down Meal
Prime Rib and Smoked Turkey
  Cheesy Potatoes
    roasted Vegetables
  Mediteranian Salad
  Homeade Rolls
  Dessert

Entertainment / Raffles / Silent Auction
$500 First Prize / $250 Second Prize / 10 - $50 Prizes
Do Not Need to be Present to Win!!

Tickets available at Carthage Family Fitness or from any Board Member
COME SUPPORT THE YOUTH SPORTS PROGRAMS AT  CARTHAGE FAMILY FITNESS
100'S OF YOUNG ATHLETES BENEFIT FROM THESE PROGRAMS
PLEASE MARK YOUR CALENDAR AND PLAN TO ATTEND!
I don't know if you've noticed but every Saturday and Sunday the parking lot at the middle school is full of parent's--grandparents--aunts and uncles watching our young athletes compete. This would not be happening without the Carthage Family Fitness Center youth sports program. This is a tremendously worthwhile program--please support it! Besides you get a great prime rib meal--great entertainment--community fellowship and a great chance to win $500!!!!!! or you can go to Quincy and spend $50 to eat with a bunch of people you don't know and the only thing your supporting is the Quincy economy.
Come on mark your calendar--have a great evening--and support our Carthage Youth!

importuser

By importuser at 3/23/2009 10:05 AM

Monday March 23 2009
Thanks for taking the time to read a proud Dad's email. My youngest son and his bandmates are raising funds for the Hancock County Memorial Hospital building fund by playing in a talent contest. (My son is the drummer--Cole Carson!)
They have put together a  www.youtube.com video and asked me to send it out to my customers. If the link below doesn't work--please just go to www.youtube.com and in the search line-type in--- The Prom Knights-- it should take you right to the video. The boys had a lot of fun for a great cause--and as you know--I'm mighty proud of them! Please consider sending them a couple of $'s for votes! Thanks so much! Rob
Here is some more information and the direct link to the video--I hope!

PLEASE CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE PROM KNIGHTS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY06p1L5_wo

The Prom Knights will perform live April 4th 7PM at the Hancock County extension Center during the
You've got talent---fund raiser for Memorial Hospital
Come and have some fun!
please vote for "The Prom Knights" send $1 per vote to "The Prom Knights" c/o Carson Ford p.o. box 9 Carthage Ill. 62321 all proceeds go to the Hancock County Memorial Hospital building fund.
You can vote as many $'s as you choose! just drop the money by the dealership if you'd like!
RC

THERE IS STILL TIME TO BE A PART OF THE SHOW!!!
Would you, your group, class, troop, or organization like to win $500? Well here is your chance!!  Enter the ?oYOU?TVE GOT TALENT CONTEST? and have a chance to win $500 dollars!

You say you can?Tt sing or dance? That?Ts ok, there are so many possibilities?

You could do a poetry reading, play a musical instrument, tell a story, do a magic act, pantomime, juggle, do karate, gymnastics, comedy, show your art, or share a talent, or maybe a wild, wacky or funny act. (Family Friendly acts only please).

THERE IS STILL TIME TO SIGN UP!!!

the entry fee is only $10.

Here is how the competition will work. On March 28, 2009, each contestant will have a chance to perform. There will be a jar for each contestant and the audience will cast their votes by putting money into the jar of their choice. You might think of it as a ?oPeople?Ts Choice Award? type of voting. At the end of the competition, the money will be counted. The twenty contestants with the most money in their jars will move on to the next round on April 4 and have a chance to win $500. The April 4 competition will have the same format, but there will only be one winner to take home the $500 prize money. There will be judges at both performances, but the judges will have no bearing on who wins. The entry with the most money in their jar will be the winner. All proceeds from this event will go toward the Memorial Hospital Capital Campaign.

Carson Ford Inc
Rob Carson Dealer
1-800-728-3589

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you no longer wish to receive these mails Click Here or go to http://salespoint.dealerconnection.com/smoke/optout.asp?temp=2305392&subject=1

Carson Ford Inc, 128 Buchanan, Carthage, IL 62321
importuser

By importuser at 5/7/2009 12:15 PM

Tuesday May 7th 2009

My I didn't realize I hadn't posted in 2 months!!! That is not like me. I will try to do better.
Here is how I see things--out and about
1. closer to home is better--no matter whether it's your bank, your car dealer, your insurance carrier, it is becoming increasingly clear that you should do business with people that do business with you and that you know and TRUST---it's a big bad world out there and I don't want to deal with the big boys any more than I have to. (I get enough of that with Ford and GM!)
2.There are people interested in making Carthage move forward--upgraded websites--promotional videos--transportation committees--the campus renovation--hospital...etc.......let's all make sure we do our part to make these great things happen--by spending our time, energy and yes money (both the private and the public sectors) good projects need to go forward and the money will support good projects!
3. our local economy is sound! If we all look out for one another and invest back into our own communitee we will survive and thrive!
Wow--I feel better! I actually typed something---how about somebody else's thoughts!
importuser

By importuser at 6/2/2009 2:48 PM

Hi Guys!
I have to tell you it has been a little hectic around the dealership here lately. With the GM deal always over my head---I have been a little testy--(just ask the guys, Lori and the boys) well I got the letter from GM this morning that finally puts this hurdle to rest. Here is what it said:
[b]On behalf of the entire GM team, as GM embarks on an exciting new future, I am extremely pleased that Carson Motors, Inc. has been identified by GM as one of its key dealers for the Chevrolet, buick brands.[/b]
In other words----stayin alive--stayin alive----oo oo oo oo stayin alive!!!!! Carson Motors Ford/Chevy/Buick
is here to stay!!!!!
Thankyou for all the prayers and words of encouragement we have recieved over the past few weeks---only because of our fantastic customers have we been allowed to stay here and serve West Central Illinois!!!!
And we plan to not just sell you a car today, but provide you with transportation for a lifetime---for a long---long--time!
rob
importuser

By importuser at 6/6/2009 1:02 PM

Hi guys,
I don't know if you are aware of this, but I am the chairman of the auditorium committee for The Charger Center. As this project moves forward, my job will get more intense and I'm sure will involve some fund raising efforts going forward. I am looking at spreading the fundraising well beyond the city limits of Carthage concentrating on all those individuals that have been touched in some way by the Bryant auditorium.
here are just a few
Kiwanis international
Circle K international--founded on the Carthage Campus and the 1st National conventional was held here!
Carthage College alums--pre 1964--this is there College home--not Kenosha!
Robert Morris Jr. College---remember the National basketball competition!
Robert Morris Moser Schools--thousands of young people around the midwest attended
Many great memories were made on this campus and I believe many would like to return and give to see this intimate moment of time in their youth preserved.
I welcome your ideas and service to this committee--
Here is a letter I sent to the Circle K convenience stores--who knows!

I would like to Propose a marketing idea for circle k. As I am sure you know circle k is also the name for the Kiwanis international collegiate clubs.
The very first circle k convention was held on the campus of Carthage College Carthage Illinois in 1952--not so many years before the 1st circle k gas station!
The Carthage campus has been vacant for over 20 years, but has recently been sold to local investors. The 700 seat auditorium which hosted the very 1st circle k convention has been donated to our local jr. college, Carl Sandburg College--and we are now in the process of a $2.5 million restoration.
Here is where the marketing comes in--wouldn't it be a very effective promotion if Circle K Stores Inc. could team up with Kiwanis International and their Circle K affiliates on over 500 campuses across the world to help bring the birthplace of Circle K international back to life! you could have a penny a gallon or a nickel a drink go towards Circle K's commitment to make The Carthage College Bryant Audiorium a suitable landmark as the birthplace of Circle K.
Every community in the United States has a very committed and active Kiwanis club. This would be a tremendous promotion to link up with Kiwanis International, Circle K international and creat huge positive public reations for your hometown convenience stores.
your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Rob Carson
Carson Motors Ford/Chevy/Buick
Carthage Illinois
chairman Bryant Auditorium committee
importuser

By importuser at 8/5/2009 5:27 PM

August 5th 2009

Welcome aboard Charlie!!!!!
I just attended the monthly roundtable meeting. I must say as a grey horse---Charlie has the enthusiasm of a young colt!!!!! I hope it is contagious for all of us!
I am thrilled that we are moving in the direction of tourism and individual entrepenurialism.
It is an exciting time to live in Carthage Illinois
Let's all have some fun and get to work!
Rob
importuser

By importuser at 8/12/2009 9:17 AM

good morning!
The Charger Center is moving forward! I was inside last week. The suspended ceiling, seats, tile floor---all gone! The bids go out soon for the renovation of the auditorium!!!! It is a dream come true for Carthage!!!
Bryan Auditorium lives again!
I have agreed to chair a capital campaign for the Auditorium---I am starting to post information about the auditorium and it's progress on the Carl Sandburg College forum under education.
Here is my latest post---be sure and check there for more information---excitiing times ahead!
RC
latest post to the CSC forum:
Just wanted to let you know my progress on the Auditorum. I have identified what I think is a potentially successful 2 tier Capitol Campaign for the Charger Center Auditorium. I have spoke with Gena Alcorn, the foundation director for CSC--she is very excited about the possibilities for the auditorium!
Here's what I've got so far!
Tier one is the naming opportunities of the Auditorium--The audiorium itself---The Entrance---dressing rooms--blue room--sound system--etc.....
Tier two is a seat for life campaign---2 seats are purchased for a set price--the donor recieves a plaque on the back of the seat in their honor and preferred seating for life in their 2 seats
Here is our timeline for the progess of the Auditorium Capitol campaign--very rough draft---I just like to have timelines or deadlines or I don't get anything done:
Sept 1st--order software for "ticsrus"--check with CSC to see if reimbursement is possible with a successful fundrive
Sept 15th--have training and preliminary seating chart for auditorium loaded on ticketing software
Sept 15th--have initial meeting with Carthage Kiwanis about the Circle K opportunity for the auditorium
Sept 30th--have local meeting with stakeholders to discuss fundraising strategies, goals, and commitments
Oct 15th--Kickoff the Charger Center Auditorium capitol campaign on the 55th anniversary of the 1st Circle K National Convention--press releases--media exposure starts
Nov 15th--meeting with stakeholders and Kiwanis on feasibility of naming possibilities and process for seat sales when website goes live
Jan 1st 2010---ticsrus website goes live with "seats for life" being offered on a first come/first serve basis--we will target local highly involved patrons of the Arts locally 1st to go online and select the best seats so they will be more apt to purchase tickets for future shows going forward---then we will solicit throughout the CSC district and then prev 1964 Carthage College Alums--Robert Morris Jr College Alums--Robert Morris/Moser School Alums as well as the usual local institutions interested in advancing the arts
July 4th Weekend---The 1st public performance in the newly refurbished Auditorium --- "A patriotic Evening with Andy Avery and Friends"---patrons that have already purchased their seats will be given the opportunity to buy their seats before the tickets go on sale publicly---VERY big push to have all the area high school reunions for this year (mine is included) to be part of this historic event. If any seats remain for sale have a booth available to sign up potential donors right on the spot! Big community weekend---Friday night  AA show--Saturday am golf tourney for reunions--afternoon AA matinae--early evening pig roast (either on the square or in Phoebe's building)-- beer tent on the square Saturday night--Sunday morning Church services with AA and local Clergy---Sunday Night fireworks!
Aug/Sept/Oct/Nov---finalize funddrive for both the naming opportunities---Circle K Auditorium has a nice ring to it----finish up remaining seat sales--attach bricks/plaques/signage to get ready for-----
Dec 2---"A Christmas Wish" fulfilled--a grand night for all the donors--stakeholders--artist and community to come together and celebrate a dream come true in the newly refurbished and named Carthage Charger Center Auditorium---a spectacular evening of Christmas cheer---a grand yuletide dinner--followed by the return of "A Christmas Wish"  where it all started 4 years earlier in an abandoned old theatre! Merry Christmas!
Possible revenue streams
Auditorium and Entrance---500 Circle K clubs donating $500 each--$250000---naming rights Circle K auditorium with 500 etched brick velours with each clubs school signage on the auditorium and an entrance shrine with history plaque
dressing rooms--$2000 each x 4 $8000
sound system--$20000
stage area $5000 etc.......
600 seats at $250 a seat $150000
potential for $400000 in captiol raised!
cost of campaign---$5000 for software training and data load for TicsRus/$20 x 600=$12000 for plaques for seats/$20 x 500=$10000 for brick velours/$10000 for signage and plaques for naming opps/ $20 x 600=$12000 for "A Christmas Wish" Grand opening extravaganza for all the donors patrons and friends of the auditorium
$4000000 raised with a cost of $50000----$350000 net
I believe this is doable!
Rob

importuser

By importuser at 8/13/2009 12:01 PM

4th of July 2010---A new celebration of Carthage Pride!!!!
Hi to all!
July 4th 2010 falls on a Sunday

Here is a tentative--gameplan for all the class reunions! from 5 to 50 years!
1960--1965--1970--1975--1980--1985--1990--1995--2000--2005

It always falls on the local classmates to organize--collect money--put together meals--itineraries--phone calls--dates--times--entertainment---etc....etc.....etc....
It gets to be a lot of work!!!!

Let 4th of July 2010 change all that for you folks!!!

we are currently putting together a  full weekend of entertainment--for YOUR class reunion over the 4th of jUly weekend 2010! It is guaranteed to be a fun filled yet relaxing weekend to enjoy with your former Carthage High School classmates as well as all the other folks you grew up with in Carthage--also celebrating their reunion!
Here is a very tentative schedule of events for your class reunion:
Friday July 2nd--8pm--10pm --the all new Bryan Auditorium--"A Hit Parade--with Andy Avery--2 hours of live music featuring the hits from your high school days--get up and dance with your classmates---and enjoy other reunions dancing to their favorite high school songs performed live by Andy and friends backed up by "the Wish Band"
Saturday July 3rd--8am--Golf anyone? join your classmates for a fun filled golf tournament for all 10 class reunions! lots of fun and prizes!---
Saturday July 3rd--9am--???not a golfer-- join us for shopping, fun and a parade around the historic Carthage Square--have your own class float or just sit back and enjoy the day with friends and family
Saturday July 3rd 5:30--8pm--Pig Out---all you can eat pig roast and hoe down--enjoy a good ole midwest pig roast with all the trimmings while your tapping your toe to live country music and dancers! each class will have it's own designated seating---Yeee Haaawwww!
Saturday July 3rd--8pm---?--join the rest of the community as they celebrate the 4th with live music in the Beer garden on the Southside of the Square! live music--cold beverages--and all your friends, neighbors and classmates all together for one great night!
Sunday July 4th--HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!--9am--gather on the square to give thanks to God for this wonderful community we call home! All the church's in town join together this moving service!
Sunday July 4th--sundown--Illini West High School "Fuzz Berges Field"---FIREWORKS!!! END THE WEEKEND WITH A BLAST!!!

Does this sound like fun for your class reunion? Remember the best part about a reunion is seeing old friends---let us do the planning---all you have to do is make sure your classmates know about it and want to come!
Call or email your classmates and direct them to www.carthage-il.com and there will be a special online sign on for Carthage High School Class reunion 2010! For around $40 a person--your classmates will enjoy a live Branson style show, a parade or golf tournament, an all you can eat Pig roast with live country entertainment--and a fun filled evening in the 2010 Carthage 4th of July beer garden enjoying high quality live music! Add an all community Church service and some of the best fireworks in the Midwest and
YOUV'E GOT YOURSELF THE BEST CLASS REUNION EVER!
AS YOUR CLASS ORGANIZER ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STEER YOUR CLASSMATES TO THE WEBSITE TO SIGN UP AND WE'LL TAKE CARE OF THE REST!
PLAN TO BE A PART OF THE CELEBRATION---4TH OF JULY---2010!!!
rob

importuser

By importuser at 8/13/2009 12:08 PM

remember the travelogues at the auditorium when we were growing up?
here's the history behind it. Let's have movies in the new auditorium during those dreary Winter months!
History
In 1893, Burton Holmes created his series of travelogues. His travelogues were primarily lectures, illustrated by hand colored glass lantern slides, but he soon began adding film clips. After World War II, Lowell Thomas created popular Movietone News Reel travelogues shown in movie theaters across the U.S.

During the 1950s and 1960s, independent film producers created film travelogues, which were shown in towns and schools across the U.S. and Canada. Public travelogue series, offering several evenings of travelogue films during the winter months, were often sold on a subscription basis in small and medium sized towns. Travelogues were usually about eighty minutes in length, consisting of two 1000-foot reels of 16mm film, with an intermission in-between to change reels. The travelogue film speaker, often but not always the filmmaker, would usually introduce each reel, ask for the lights to be dimmed and then narrate the film live from an onstage lectern. Patrons could then meet the speaker in-person after the show.

One popular travelogue filmmaker, Al Bell, traveled throughout the midwest during the 1960s and into the 1970s, showing his travelogues in grade schools.

In the 1970s and 1980s, the popularity of traditional travelogues declined. But the advent of cable television channels, such as the Discovery channel and the availability of small, high quality, digital video equipment has renewed the popularity of travel films. Today's travelogues, often also called Travel Adventure Cinema Shows, may be shown with either live or recorded voice-over narration, often with an in-sync audio soundtrack featuring music and location sound. The shows are often performed in school gymnasiums, civic auditoriums, senior center multi-purpose rooms, private clubs and theatrical venues. Travelogues have been a popular source of fundraising for local, non-profit community-service organizations, such as Kiwanis, Lions clubs and Rotary clubs, among others, with many such clubs hosting travelogue series for decades.