Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 9/12/2008 9:39 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
September 12th 2008
CRUISE 4 UR SCHOOL IS CRUIZIN!!!!

WE ARE A GO UNLESS THE PARADE IS CANCELED. AT SUCH TIME AS THE PARADE IS CANCELED--WE WILL MOVE THE TEST DRIVE TO THE DRY COMFORT OF THE EXTENSION CENTER---HWY 94 NORTH TIL WE GET 300!!!!!
NO RAIN! NO RAIN! NO RAIN!
importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 9/12/2008 9:40 AM

Think about it

When you just can't decide which one to pick . . . . . . .

A president's pension currently is $191,300 per year, until he is 80 yrs old.
Sen. McCain would receive ZERO pension as he would reach 80 at the end of two
terms as president. 

Sen. Obama would be retired for 26 yrs after two terms & would receive
$4,973,800 in pension. Therefore it would certainly make economic sense to
elect McCain in November.

How's that for non-partisan thinking???

importuser

By importuser at 9/19/2008 11:10 AM

Posted by:MattDickinson
Rob, and everyone...

I fell down on the great idea of putting a snapshot of the community calendar on the Chamber page in the Journal Pilot, as I completely forgot after we discussed it.  It's now a reminder on my calendar, so whoever has the next page will get a snapshot from me to include.  Sorry about that.

LOTS of other good stuff going on, but we still have that participation issue.  The Go Illini West Fan Club Deals number TWELVE right now.  We had TWICE that many last year.  Who hasn't signed up this year?  Did they skip it on purpose, or have they just not had time to read the emails, newsletters, and forum posts?  Well, here's the list from last year that haven't turned in an offer, yet.  Maybe if anyone sees the owners, you might mention it.  Nobody is twisting an arm, but we DO want to make sure they know of the opportunity! 

Last year participants that are not in this year:

[list]
[li]Towne House[/li]
[li]Plum Tree[/li]
[li]Hancock County Journal Pilot[/li]
[li]Royalty's Clothing[/li]
[li]Simply Irresistable[/li]
[li]The Wood[/li]
[li]Lamoine River Labradors[/li]
[li]Conn Communications[/li]
[li]Carthage Dairy Queen[/li]
[li]The Courtyard Coffee & Bistro (ok, we'll cut them some slack)[/li]
[li]Robert Webb, CPA[/li]
[li]Krbavac Studio[/li]
[/list]

Rob, keep up the great effort!  Everyone else... let's GO!
importuser

By importuser at 9/19/2008 1:07 PM

Posted by:Robert
Matt,
      If you have a copy of what our offer was last year, could you forward it to me?  If it is what I think, we will renew the offer for this year.
      Robert Webb, CPA
importuser

By importuser at 9/29/2008 11:45 AM

Monday Sept 29th 2008

Hi to all
I have had a number of people ask me in the last week or so if we are doing "A Christmas Wish" this year.
As much as I loved that show--the people in it--and the whole experience of having a community come together for a greater cause--- I felt " The Wish" had completed it's mission!
We raised over $15000 for the bike path--(the grant is currently under consideration with the state)
We raised the awareness of the campus--( the college has been purchased by PIG and looks better than it has in 15 years)
We brought music to the auditorium again--(CSC is now spearheading a wonderful Auditorium/Gymnasium/fitness center vision that will provide our community a state of the art facility for us and future generations)
So now that "The Wish" has completed it's mission----What in the heck are we going to do next!!!!
Although I simply can't be the driver of the next project ( I've got a few things going on right now)
I challenge all of you to take the spirit of "The Wish" and run with it.
I have been kicking an idea around of having the community church's do a Christmas Variety show this year--Here's my broad stroke ideas
Who: Carthage area churchs, ministerial alliance, talented people from each church
what: 1st annual Carthage Christmas Wish's Variety show--each local church provides a musical entertainment act (their best and brightest) to put together 12-13 performances in a 2 hour evening of high quality Christmas music
when: 2 evenings in December--7pm-9pm
where: a local church capable of handling a large crowd, enough stage area for the performers, professional sound--good parking
why:As "The Wish" brought the community together for an evening of music, fellowship, and common spirit--so can "The Christmas Wish's" concert

--there have been a number of suggestions for the donations to go-one that seems to fit really well is the Hancock County Red Cross--

So what do you think---for this to happen we need
A sponsor organization---with one or 2 individuals willing to be the coordinators
a church location
a firm date
10-15 great acts (1 from each of the local church's)

Is there anyone out there that wants to keep this "Wish" Alive?
Merry Christmas!
rob

importuser

By importuser at 10/4/2008 9:08 AM

!

CARSON MOTORS TIMES
OCTOBER 2008 VOL 1

ROB'S RANTS AND RAVES
A Million Miles from Wall Street
As the evening air gets cooler and the sounds of combines harvesting the bountiful crop fills the air, I realize that in spite of all the hype of the media about the "Federal Financial Crisis" we really are
A MILLION MILES FROM WALL STREET
We live right in the breadbasket of the safest country of the world
we buy only what we can afford and pay for what we buy
we respect other people's property as if it was our own
we're proud to be American
It never gets as good here as it does on the coasts
but it sure as heck never gets as bad!
as John Denver put so well
"Thank God I'm a Country Boy"
Have a safe harvest, Friday night football game, and enjoy your family and friends!
the Carson Motors family will take care of all your transportation needs
and God will take care of the rest!
                                                Stop in and see us!
                                                                                    Rob

NEW VEHICLE SALES

TRUCKS--TRUCKS--TRUCKS
UP TO $13000
OFF OF NEW FORD TRUCKS
IN OCTOBER
I CAN'T SAY ANYTHING BETTER THAN THAT
CALL US!

HUGE GOVERNMENT TAX CREDITS AVAILABLE THIS YEAR ONLY!
CALL FOR DETAILS

USED VEHICLE SALES

WHY BUY A CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED VEHICLE FROM CARSONS?
WHEN YOU BUY FROM JUST ANY CAR DEALER THEY DON'T OFFER THE  FOLLOWING
WE DO
FINANCING AS LOW AS 2.9%
115 POINT FORD AUTHORIZED INSPECTION
FREE OIL CHANGES FOR ONE YEAR
FREE SERVICE LOANERS FOR WARRANTY PAID REPAIRS
  POWERTRAIN WARRANTY AND ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE TO 6YR/75000MI
WE SERVICE WHAT WE SELL WITH  CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS
NEW WIPER BLADES--FRESH OIL CHANGE--FULL TANK OF GAS AT DELIVERY
THE THRILL OF LOW PRICE WITH THE PEACE-OF-MIND OF SERVICE AFTER THE SALE
YOU'LL MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE WHEN YOU BUY A CERTIFIED PREOWNED VEHICLE
FROM CARSON MOTORS!!

PARTS AND SERVICE
The parts and service departments of Carson Ford and Carl Motors are undertaking a substantial part of the change over for the combining dealerships. All the same people are still in place, just they may be doing something a little different or in a different location!
The main parts and service department will be located in the former Carl Motors building
Bill Goddard- Service Manager and Mike Tracy--Parts Manager
will be able to offer you a full array of certified technicians and parts for the entire
Ford and General Motors vehicle lines
Albert Harrison--Master Certified Ford Technician and Stacie Wallace--Master Certified GM technician
bring over 50 combined years of experience to lead our team of highly trained professionals
that will fix your vehicle right the first time, on time, at a reasonable price.
PLEASE KNOW THAT NO MATTER WHERE YOU BOUGHT YOUR LAST VEHICLE
CARSON MOTORS FORD/CHEVY/BUICK/PONTIAC SERVICE DEPARTMENT WANTS TO MAKE IT OUR BABY

CARSON'S QUICKLUBE
WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR OIL CHANGED?
ONE YEAR OIL CHANGE PLAN
FIVE OIL CHANGES--FIVE CAR WASH'S--ONE LOW PRICE
You can write one check--once a year
for all your families or business's vehicles
it doesn't get any easier than this!
don't take your car anywhere else
tax deductable
why would you go anywhere but Carson's Quicklube?

CARSON'S CARCARE
OCTOBER SPECIAL
$5 mitt wash and chamois dry
while you wait
PULL IN AND PULL OUT
4 TO 5 PM DAILY

CARSON FORD RENTAL

RENT A FLEX FROM KARLA
7 PASSENGER
DVD MOVIES
24 MPG
AVAILABLE BY THE DAY--WEEK--MONTH
WAY COOL!
GREAT FOR THE BIG GAME--BACHELORETTE PARTY--FAMILY TRIP
CALL FOR RATES!
217-357-3154
KARLA JOHNSON

CARSON MOTORS INC
FORD CHEVY BUICK PONTIAC
HWY 136
CARTHAGE & HAMILTON
ILLINOIS
1-800-728-3589
www.carsonford.com

Carson Ford Inc
Rob Carson Dealer
1-800-728-3589
importuser

By importuser at 10/13/2008 8:50 AM

quote of the day!
[b]'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to
> take away everything you have.' - Thomas Jefferson[/b]
importuser

By importuser at 10/13/2008 8:54 AM

Monday October 13th

Hi to all!

great news!!! Wear Drug is expanding!!!!

importuser

By importuser at 11/10/2008 10:15 AM

Monday November 10th 2008

going to try once again to post daily.
Just sent this letter to Jim Cramer on CNBC---

Dear Jim,
What brand of car do you drive? What can you personally do to help the domestic auto industry. Yes, the industry has made some tremendously poor decisions--but as of the day the taxpayer becomes part owner---what are you going to do to help out the new owners.
How about some positive press about the Ford/Gm product lineup that is best in class and right on par with the imports in quality---how about some negative press for the imports and their quality concerns and recalls---
Hey I don't expect Cramer Nation to rap themselves in the American flag and say down with the imperial Japanese carmakers---just be fair and unbiased and if there is close to a tie in the style/quality/affordabilty comparisons between the domestics and the imports give the tie to the hometown boys! They are by the way feeding/clothing/healing/ over 20% of the us population.
I for one am tired of the American Dream getting exported overseas because we import preceived superior products while helping to tool up our competitors to stick it to us.
No--I am absolutely not a protectionist and I don't believe tariffs or trade hurdles are the answer.  I do believe that America's mainstream media can be the most influential means of educating the American puplic of the benefits of buying American products produced, financed, and paid for at home. Hey-main stream media got a new President elected didn't they?
importuser

By importuser at 11/15/2008 10:09 AM

GO ILLINI WEST CHARGERS--BEAT ALEDO!!!

I KNOW IT'S COLD BUT THINK ABOUT THOSE BOYS TRYING TO WIN A GAME FOR OUR COMMUNITY! PUT ON AN EXTRA LAYER OF CLOTHES AND LET'S GO CHEER THE CHARGERS TO A VICTORY!!! COME ON IT'LL BE FUN!
importuser

By importuser at 11/17/2008 1:23 PM

Monday November 17th  2008

Congratulations to the Illini West Chargers Football team!!!! great representation of our communittee's!

I have been listening to our great National media debating the "bailout" of the American Auto Industry--I call it a debate very loosely because it seems to be very slanted towards "why should we bailout an industry that brought it all on themselves--while the imports are doing just fine building cars in right here in the good old U.S. of A!!!! They talk about how the Big 3 gave in to the unions and were stupid to allow all these "legacy" costs--they built gas guzzlers--they managed poorly--they didn't invest in small cars while the Japs were producing them. While all of this has merit---let's break each of these arguments down---

the union did take full advantage of the good times--forcing the manufacturers through strikes and shutdowns to give concessions and yes, to good of deals to the UAW--the American manufacturers  have been working hard the past 2 years to bring those excesses back to reasonable numbers with good success.

leagacy costs are a huge disadvantage for the domestics.--- they basically told their workers--you work hard for us and make us money---we will provide healthcare and a pension til you die. Those dirty scoundrels! How dare they provide for their employee's such frivolous benefits! Did you know that the imports have very few --the last time I heard the statistic it was in the hundreds--retirees in the United States. Why would they--they have only been producing cars here for under 20 years--and only lately have their #'s grown. The domestics have stopped this horrendous practice because their competion, the imports, don't offer benefits to their retiree's here in the U.S.--they don't have any.

The dometics built gas guzzlers with poor quality while the imports built fuel economy vehicles with higher quality--o.k.--yes the domestic's did build what the consumer wanted at that time and yes the quality was not up to par with the competition---but in true American fashion the domestics have and are retooling, reengineering and preparing to give the imports the fight of their life for the fuel economy segment

Poor management--well I can go on and on about this one--but I'm not--did the U.S. automakers have some real propellor head Harvard grads running the show in the past couple of years that almost put them in the ditch? Absolutely---so has Lehman Bros.--AIG--CITI--FANNIE--FREDDIE...... and the U.S. Congress!!!

Ford Motor Company and General Motors have both celebrated their 100th year recently. Both companies have enjoyed very good times and endured many bad times these last 100 years.If it wasn't for the willingness of GM, Ford and the  other domestic car manufacturers to quickly transition to wartime production  during WWII that war would have lasted much longer with the loss of countless 
additional lives.  The US government did not have to nationalize or even  threaten to nationalize these industries.  They willingly and voluntarily  did this and the result was that our overwhelming capacity to manufacture war  vehicles like the jeep and all the variety of armored vehicles not to mention  aircraft,
aircraft engines and war ships steamrolled the Allies to victory much  sooner than they otherwise would have.  It is documented quite clearly that  the German and Japanese leadership underestimated dramatically the ability of  American manufacturers to transition so quickly and in such magnitude.
Had this not occurred there might be a lot of the people who are  criticizing this so called bail-out that may have never been born.  People don't think this can happen again in our modern worldwide economy, but I  say they had better think again.  We may some day wish we still have  vibrant manufacturing
capacity for other reasons completely separate from our  own transportation
needs.....

importuser

By importuser at 11/19/2008 9:04 AM

I listened to C-span yesterday at the Hearing for the big  three.  I am
totally amazed at how some of the Senators can so cavalierly  state that one
of the problems with the big, using GM as an example, is GM is  hampered by
having 7000 dealers while Toyota gets the same job done with only 1200 dealers.
Therefore, GM needs to go into protective bankruptcy in  order to trump
state franchise laws and trim those needless dealers.   
I can't help but wonder how many of those "needless" dealers, their  vendors,
their employees, their local townfolk who rely on the dealership and  the
dealership's generosity for their charities supported those Senators'  campaigns.
While there's no doubt the collapse of  the not-so-big-as-they-used-to-be
three would be devastating to our  country, can you imagine the impact of
closure to 7000 to 10,000 GM,  Ford and Chrysler dealerships all across the
country???  The impact to  local sales taxes just in itself would devastate the medium
and small  communities and counties that benefit.
For my customers that want to drive imports--I have contacted Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, about the possibility of having their franchise here in Hancock County. Guess what! they don't want to be your local dealer---They don't want to invest in Carthage Illinois---or Hancock County---
Ford--Chevrolet--Buick--Pontiac already have for the last 51 years
Please don't misunderstand me here.I want to sell you whatever you want and take care of your transportation needs for the rest of your life. I am partial to the domestic brands (they are the girl that brought me to the dance) but  I can and will sell you any brand model shape or size you need ---I have good friends that are Mazda--Kia--BMW--Toyota--Honda--dealers that will sell me a car at cost so I can sell it to you--remember I wake up every morning wanting to sell a car to you--you just have to let me know what morning you wake up and are wanting to buy a car from me
Have a great day!
Rob

importuser

By importuser at 11/22/2008 10:47 AM

An interesting commentary...You might find this of interest:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's
contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
Washington.

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee
contributions
of the same number plus 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The company
also
offered ER response ! team services and office space to displaced
government employees.

2. GM- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee
contributions
of the same number and a fleet of vans, SUVs', and trucks.

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and
victims of
the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to
the
New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation,
funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children
and
victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- $300,000 to the American Red Cross.

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing despite boasting of second best sales month ever
in
August 2001

12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing.

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing. Press release with condolences via the Porsche
website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota-Nothing despite claims of high sales in July and August
Condolences posted on the website
Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle,
keep
this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration
to a
car manufactured by an American-owned and / or American based
company.
Apart from Hyundai and Volkswagen, the foreign car companies
contributed
nothing at all to the citizens of the United States ...
It's OK for these companies to take money out of this country, but it
is
apparently not acceptable to return some in a time of crisis. I
believe we
should not forget things like this. Say thank you in a way that gets
their
attention

just goes to show that the unions are not the only things that make
our cost higher

Randy

I AM PROUD TO SELL AMERICAN CARS AND TRUCKS! GOD BLESS AMERICA
importuser

By importuser at 11/25/2008 8:38 AM

Sorry that these post are all about the domestic auto industry. But I feel compelled to be the one small voice in the wilderness. Nobody reads this stuff anyway!
Here's my latest--by Pat Buchanan
Who killed  the U.S. auto  industry?
To hear the  media tell it, arrogant corporate chiefs failed to foresee the
demand for small,  fuel-efficient cars and made gas-guzzling road-hog SUVs no
one wanted, while the  clever, far-sighted Japanese, Germans and Koreans
prepared and built for the  future.
I dissent.  What killed Detroit was Washington, the  government of the United
States, politicians, journalists and muckrakers  who have long harbored a
deep animus against the manufacturing class that ran  the smokestack industries
that won World War II.
As far back  as the 1950s, an intellectual elite that produces mostly methane
had its knives  out for the auto industry of which Ike's treasury secretary,
ex-GM chief Charles  Wilson, had boasted, "What's good for America is good for
General Motors,  and vice versa."
"Engine  Charlie" was relentlessly mocked, even in Al Capp's L'il Abner
cartoon strip,  where a bloviating "General Bullmoose" had as his motto, "What's
good for  Bullmoose is good for America!"
How did Big  Government do in the U.S. auto  industry?
Washington imposed a minimum  wage higher than the average wage in
war-devastated Germany and Japan.  The Feds ordered that U.S. plants be made the
healthiest  and safest worksites in the world, creating OSHA to see to it. It enacted
civil  rights laws to ensure the labor force reflected our diversity.
Environmental  laws came next, to ensure U.S. factories became the most 
pollution-free on earth.
It then  clamped fuel efficiency standards on the entire U.S.  car fleet.
Next,  Washington  imposed a corporate tax rate of 35 percent, raking off
another 15 percent of  autoworkers' wages in Social Security payroll taxes
State  governments imposed income and sales taxes, and local governments
property taxes  to subsidize services and schools.
The United  Auto Workers struck repeatedly to win the highest wages and most
generous  benefits on earth vacations, holidays, work breaks, health care,
pensions   for workers and their families, and retirees.
Now there  is nothing wrong with making U.S. plants the cleanest and safest
on earth or  having U.S. autoworkers the highest-paid  wage earners.
That is the  dream, what we all wanted for America.
And under  the 14th Amendment, GM, Ford and Chrysler had to obey the same
U.S.  laws and pay at the same tax rates. Outside the United  States, however,
there was and is no equality  of standards or taxes.
Thus when  America was thrust into the Global Economy, GM and Ford had to
compete with cars  made overseas in factories in postwar Japan and Germany, then
Korea, where  health and safety standards were much lower, wages were a
fraction of those paid  U.S. workers, and taxes were and are often forgiven on
exports to the United  States.
All three  nations built "export-driven" economies.
The Beetle  and early Japanese imports were made in factories where wages
were far beneath  U.S. wages and working  conditions would have gotten U.S. auto
executives sent to  prison.
The  competition was manifestly unfair, like forcing Secretariat to carry 100
pounds  in his saddlebags in the Derby.
Japan,  China and South  Korea do not believe in free trade as we  understand
it. To us, they are our "trading partners." To them, the relationship  is not
like that of Evans & Novak or Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. It is  not even
like the Redskins and Cowboys. For the Cowboys only want to defeat the 
Redskins. They do not want to put their franchise out of business and end the 
competition as the Japanese did to our TV industry by dumping Sonys here until 
they killed it.
While we  think the Global Economy is about what is best for the consumer,
they think  about what is best for the nation.
Like  Alexander Hamilton, they understand that manufacturing is the key to
national  power. And they manipulate currencies, grant tax rebates to their
exporters and  thieve our technology to win. Last year, as trade expert Bill
Hawkins writes,  South  Korea exported 700,000 cars to us, while  importing 5,000
cars from us.
That's  Asia's idea of free  trade.
How has  this Global Economy profited or prospered America?
In the  1950s, we made all our own toys, clothes, shoes, bikes, furniture,
motorcycles,  cars, cameras, telephones, TVs, etc. You name it. We made  it.
Are we  better off now that these things are made by foreigners? Are we
better off now  that we have ceased to be self-sufficient? Are we better off now
that the real  wages of our workers and median income of our families no longer
grow as they  once did? Are we better off now that manufacturing, for the
first time in  U.S. history, employs fewer workers  than government?
We no  longer build commercial ships. We have but one airplane company, and
it  outsources. China produces our computers. And if  GM goes Chapter 11,
America will soon be out of the auto  business.
Our  politicians and pundits may not understand what is going on. Historians
will  have no problem explaining the decline and fall of the  Americans.
importuser

By importuser at 12/1/2008 3:44 PM

DECEMBER 1ST 2008
GO ILLINI WEST!!!!!!!!
WOW! Did those boys give us a thrill ride and more these past 2 weeks!!!! I am so proud of how they carried themselves and their school to victory against all odds---they never gave up--they stayed focused to the task ahead--and they WON!!!!!!
Let's all enjoy this victory for our communitee's and learn from these fine young men's examples.
Go Illini West!