Share |

THE LAST 500 FEET

importuser

THE LAST 500 FEET

By importuser at 8/30/2007 9:53 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
NEW TOPIC!!!

I'll start a new discussion topic on this, just as soon as someone tells me where it should go (Tourism?  Government?  Retail?  Not sure!)...

I give full credit for this idea to Tom Seaver, this is NOT my idea (that's probably why it's so GOOD!  )

Tom and I were talking about the emmense Mormon geneology database that the church maintains in Salt Lake City.  If you've ever tried to research your family tree, you've probably run into this database, as it is not restricted to Mormons, but includes a LOT of information about millions and millions of people.  The Mormon faith encourages them to research and understand their ancestry, so they take it very seriously.  Well, as we chatted about this, Tom pointed out that there was one very important piece of data missing from this database.  It contains all the people-to-people relationships, birth dates, dates of death, marriages, etc. 

But it does NOT contain the LAND aspect of one's history.  For that, many families who had relatives in Nauvoo in the 1840's come back to good old Carthage, and scour the records in the Courthouse!  Ding ding!  VISITORS!!

Tom thinks that if we dig into the research process, we might be able to come up with maps of the county circa 1840's and then have a process explaining exactly what needs to be done to track down one's ancestral grounds.  Volunteers could (should!) be on hand, as the normal courthouse staff can't be bogged down in this during peak summer times.  Folks could do the research, and the volunteers, then, could show them where that land is currently, and could highlight a map showing them how to get to it.  There would have to be procedures, and as much red tape as necessary would have to be torn down.  The idea is to make this research easy, then advertise through the church that we're doing it (Tom might be able to help with this), and get THEM to send people to the courthouse to go through the process.  I'll just bet that one or two of those thousands will need a bite to eat or will shop while in town!

It's a big job, but we need to get thoughts together, and coordinate with the county (courthouse tours have been on "the list" for a long time, too, and this may be a chance to get enough traffic to start that up again as well).

Thoughts?
importuser

Re: THE LAST 500 FEET

By importuser at 8/30/2007 10:00 AM

what a great idea to drive traffic the last 500 feet.
lot's of logistics to figure out---but Tom and you have found the golden goose for a reason to come to the Square!!! Maybe a kiosk in the lobby that could access the necessary property info? Make it part of the courthouse tour---all could research to see if their name shows up as original land owners?! Anyhow I am going to paste your original post into tourism and let Susan know it should be part of the last 500 feet project.

The kiosk could have a computer  and a huge map of the county. All participants could find their ancestors property and be invited to put a pin on the spot in their honor. The tour guide could be trained on how to lookup the history and explain the procedure. Great way to burn 20 minutes of the tour!
Is the database for the property research for Hancock Cty user friendly?
RC
importuser

Re: THE LAST 500 FEET

By importuser at 2/19/2009 5:22 PM

Well,
Here is the short story of what I have in mind.
I took the chair of the tourism committee for this year on the chamber because of what I think can happen.
here it goes
from the 1st of may til the end of August starting 2010

1) Branson type show in the auditorium every Fri and Sat night--(prairie home companion format)--filmed and streamed to the internet eventually
2)mon-fri noon time meal with entertainment for tourism and tour busses coming to the jail/square
3)Friday night pig roast and hoe down prior to the show-complete with country and western band and square dancers
4) empty store fronts and regular business storefronts converted to retail every fri and sat with local artists/craftsmen/retailers/organic farmers/..........
5) market this to ALL the mormon busses--bank senior citizen groups for one/two day bus trips (how many trips can a blue hair take to Branson) , Amtrak weekend train getaways......
AM I THINIKIN OUTSIDE THE BOX OR WHAT!