Share |

Tourism FAQ

importuser

Tourism FAQ

By importuser at 10/23/2001 1:46 PM

Posted by:MattDickinson
New to Tourism in Carthage?  This is the place to start!  See  below for answers to these questions and more:

1. I'm new to Carthage, where to I go for more information?
2. We plan to visit Carthage soon, what should I know?
3. What are the main tourist sites in Carthage?
4. I'd like to help promote Carthage Tourism, what can I do to help?
5. Are there good shopping opportunities for tourists?
6. Where can visitors stay in/near Carthage during their trips?
7. Are there any campgrounds in/near Carthage?
8. What dates would be best for visiting Carthage?

=========================================

1. I'm new to Carthage, where to I go for more information?
The first place to start is the Carthage City Hall, located at 308 Walnut Street (just south of the "Old Mormon Jail" off of hwy 136).  They will help you with water and sewer registration, and can offer a variety of brochures and welcome-packet material to help you get started here.

After that, a visit to the Chamber of Commerce office (8 S. Madison, on the west side of the "square" business district) will fill you with information about area businesses, attractions, and special events.

2. We plan to visit Carthage soon, what should I know?
Most of what you need to know is somewhere on the web site.  However, you may want to know where to stay (Prairie Winds Motel, west edge of town), where to eat (lots of restaurants, from fast food to family-style home cooking), and what to visit (again, web pages and this FAQ list lots of sites).  A great resource will be the Chamber office, 8 S. Madison on the west side of the square, they'll have up-to-date information about any specials sites or events.  Best of all, you should know that you'll have a great time, and will meet very friendly people!  Enjoy!!

3. What are the main tourist sites in Carthage?
First off you should know that for a small town, Carthage has LOTS of history and sites to see.  Of course, the biggest draw is the Old Mormon Jail, where Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon faith was murdered in the 1840's.  After that, however, you'll want to visit the Courthouse (beautiful!) and it's surrounding business district, maybe the WOW Park and/or Jaycee Park (take a dip in the pool if the temps are right!).  Carthage Lake offers a great view and wonderful spots for picnics and larger family reunions, too.  There are many historic homes in Carthage, many of which are beautifully kept.  Check out the walking tour brochure to see some of these!

4. I'd like to help promote Carthage Tourism, what can I do to help?
Thanks, your help is appreciated.  The Chamber of Commerce has a Tourism Committee that meets regularly, and anyone interested is invited to join (or just visit) it.  For the next meeting time/date/place, call Cyndi at the Chamber office (217-357-3024) or Brenda at the Community Development Office (217-357-3800).  Jump in, and have fun!

5. Are there good shopping opportunities for tourists?
Absolutely! The "square" around the courthouse is home to many retail shops.  Many of these stores contain unique items that will appeal to tourists as momentos of their visits.  You can find Carthage T-shirts, Carthage Christmas Tree decorations, Carthage greeting cards, and craft items.  For tourists who find themselves short on supplies, the grocery store, County Market, is within site of the Old Carthage Jail, and clothing and drug stores are on the square, too.  Gas stations abound and are easily found since most are on Highway 136.  There's a very unique, wonderful art gallery a couple blocks east of "the 4-way stop" on 136, too.  Of course, people have to eat, and they can find a Subway, Hardee's, Dairy Queen all on 136, or they can opt for a more relaxed cooked meal at the Towne House/Plum Tree Restaurants around the square, or The Double Deuce on the east side of town.  So you see, tourists have LOTS of opportunities to get whatever they need (or just what they want!) in Carthage.  

6. Where can visitors stay in/near Carthage during their trips?
There are a few small motels, but the only one really set up for tourists is the Prairie Winds Motel, on the west edge of town.  It's easy to find, just take 136 west out of Carthage, and you'll find it about half a mile out on the North side of the road.  The rooms are clean with all the amenities you expect, and the prices are downright GREAT!  (217-357-3101)

7. Are there any campgrounds in/near Carthage?
Yes, there are two.  The Carthage Park District maintains a small campground at the entrance to the golf course around lake road.  To find it, go west on 136 from the center of town.  As soon as you pass the Methode factory, right before you take the curve towards the south, exit the highway to the west.  Take the first right and you'll be on the lake road.  The swimming pool will be on your right, and Jaycee Park on your left.  Continue on lake road, through it's hills and curves, until you come to the golf course entrance. The campground is right there.  Camp fees may be paid in the golf clubhouse.  The scenery of the lake is beautiful at this campground!

There is also a privately owned campground south of Carthage about 8 miles, on highway 94, called "Circle G Campground" and it's a favorite of many of the long-term campers in the area.

8. What dates would be best for visiting Carthage?
Carthage is best when there are lots of activities going on (so be sure to check the [url=http://www.carthage-il.com/calendar/maincal.html]Calendar of Events[/url] page for updates.  The main tourist season, of course, is in the summer, so you can avoid some crowds at other times.  Special events, such as the Christmas Open House, the July Fourth Celebration, and Strawberry Strut will bring lots of people to town, and can be a great time to visit!

[ This Message was edited by: MattDickinson on 2001-10-25 12:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MattDickinson on 2001-11-15 17:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MattDickinson on 2007-07-02 10:06 ]